Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody had any luck with nail polish to touch up poly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody had any luck with nail polish to touch up poly?

Just wondering how successful it is, just to take the eye away from an issue, rather than to stand up to scrutiny..
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Yep. I touched up a snakeskin on a BCR (using white and black with toothpicks), then filled with super glue and sanded smooth. Looks a lot better than a chunk down to the wood.

I was tempted to try wood dyes sold at Stew-Mac (to mix with the super glue), but they want over $150 for a set of ten colors.

Comment

My black schecter - that some idiot used left handed - now has black nail polish over the hole that used to hold a strap button.

I won't try to cover up the pick scratches that look like it was more like sand paper scratches than pick scratches with nail polish, but the strap button looks fine.

Up close, it is obvious. But to the outside observer, its ok.

Comment

Yep nail polish works fine.It just takes time to fill a chip sometimes.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I've actually used model paint to cover up some dings on my black strat. During one show many years ago, while jamming at the front of the stage with our bassist, he nailed the bottom part of my guitar body with the headstock of his BC Rick Warlock bass. He fell off the stage and left a huge gash in my strat. After many applications, I actually filled it in with model paint and made it not so noticeable.
          "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

I did the corners of my black Kramer Baretta and it turned out pretty good.
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Back when my warlock was black, it had chipped ends. My gf at the time gave me some nail polish to cover them. I didn't try to fill, just cover the exposed wood to stop it from further damage. It worked well & the thin layer of polish was durable enough to last 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                It worked well & the thin layer of polish was durable enough to last 15 years.

its also a matter of dollar store paint or high quality lacquer.
                Not that i have first hand knowledge from the 80's. Its just common sense.

Comment

Working...
                X