Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK People: Anyone know any good guitar techs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK People: Anyone know any good guitar techs?

Need a good setup on one guitar and a refret on another. Tried a few techs out for setups locally but got the impression none spent very much time on it and guitars came back buzzing like a good 'un. In fact, the refret is because I went on one tech's advice to get a fret level done and now the frets are lower than an Essex Girl's... nevermind!

So, anywhere near North London, Cambridge, East London, anywhere around the West/North/East M25, Bedfordshire, etc... willling to travel for a good job. I'm located in Hertfordshire.

Phil Hartley has a very good reputation and so does Nick Marchant. I don't live in the U.K. but I've had plenty of friends from the U.K. and these are the guys they told me that they had used. Here's a link to both of their sites. http://www.guitarsetup.co.uk/testimonials.php http://www.guitarrepairsuk.com/who_we_are.htm EDIT; Both of the guys I mentioned are Master Luthiers.
    Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-01-2014, 09:57 PM.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Any monkey can do a decent set-up, I'm big-headed enough to say I'm pretty fucking good myself, and I have one or two extremely well-known clients who are more than happy with my work. Bananas? Oooo-aaaah OOOOOHHH AAAHHH

You ought to look for a luthier if you want re-fretting done IMHO. That takes time and patience, rather than the work a tech would do (ie. get it playable, NOW!). Try the geezer from Noiseworks in Coventry, whose name escapes me right now, (he's that good!), he's a PROPER luthier but works in the real world and will advise you sensibly.

Failing that, John Diggins in Birmingham (JayDee Guitars). If he's good enough for Mr Iommi...

In fact, despite the hike (fuck all by US standards), sod it, go to JayDee, you can drop it off and spend the day looking round the guitar shops!

BTW, my guitars buzz like frig...when not plugged in. Stick them through an amp and they sing. Personally, I can live with a little (a lot) of fret rattle, so long as the action is looooooow and doesn't choke off when I bend strings - no-one hears it when I'm cranked to No 11
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Rob Williams is good - he did some work on a KV of mine years ago. He was in Birmingham, but I seem to remember he was moving..
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I live just outside of north west London and take my guitars to this guy in Birmingham, it's a bit of a trek but he does really nice work. http://www.bobbarryguitars.co.uk/

Comment

A lot of these guys appear to be in Birmingham hahaha. What are they doing over there, putting some luthier juice in the water or something?

Has anyone had a refret done by any of these types? Just looking for reassurance that I'm taking my babies to the right dude.

I don't mind about buzz at all so long as it doesn't interfere with playing and can do basic setups myself. But sometimes you realize that you'd like someone, er, competent to do certain bits

Comment

Originally posted by JonSick View Post
              A lot of these guys appear to be in Birmingham hahaha. What are they doing over there, putting some luthier juice in the water or something?

Has anyone had a refret done by any of these types? Just looking for reassurance that I'm taking my babies to the right dude.

I don't mind about buzz at all so long as it doesn't interfere with playing and can do basic setups myself. But sometimes you realize that you'd like someone, er, competent to do certain bits
              One of my pals from England had two guitars re-fretted by Phil Hartley and had nothing but good things to say about his work. Old school Gibson's from the 60's as well. He said the binding and new frets came back in incredible shape and that the guitars definitely played and felt better after the work was done.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Hiya

I'm about to start making contact, but thought I'd ask another while I'm here.

What would the Dunlop (or similar brand) size be to the fretwire on a Jackson SL2H or an ESP M-II?

Comment

Originally posted by JonSick View Post
                  Hiya

I'm about to start making contact, but thought I'd ask another while I'm here.

What would the Dunlop (or similar brand) size be to the fretwire on a Jackson SL2H or an ESP M-II?
                  That's a standard jumbo and the number is 6150. The biggest jumbo they make is a 6100 and it's pretty huge. As far as I know Jackson uses the standard Jumbo on the SL-2H.

Comment

Sorry for the resurrection. Update and a question

Update: I'm taking my beloved KV2 to John Diggins tomorrow. Set up the appointment and it's all good to go!

Question: Does anyone know what fret size ESP used on the SV-II guitars? Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

I've heard good things about Jon at Feline:

http://felineguitars.com/

Comment

I went to JayDee in Birmingham in the end.

Can happily recommend them entirely! They got it done within the week, the guitar feels a million times better and all happy

Comment

Glad it all went well.
                          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
                          X