Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to clean and oil a rosewood fretboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to clean and oil a rosewood fretboard.

Dudes! I really want to clean all of my old Charvel Model fretboards and would like to know what my forum buddies use because in the vast worl of the internets everyone does something different! I heard that using lighter fluid to clean and lin seed oil after. Does this seem like a good idea? I also heared that you do not want to use the raw lin seed oil.

If you could point me in the right direction for the right kind of oil I would appreciate that!

Yes, Naphtha (lighter fluid) and boiled linseed oil will give you nice results. The only reason not to use raw linseed oil is because it doesn't cure as fast as the boiled variety; boiled linseed oil has hardeners in it.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
      Yes, Naphtha (lighter fluid) and boiled linseed oil will give you nice results. The only reason not to use raw linseed oil is because it doesn't cure as fast as the boiled variety; boiled linseed oil has hardeners in it.

Thanks, Sully!!! Any particular brand better for guitar applications?

Comment

Nope. It really is that easy.
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Is this the right stuff? http://www.masters.com.au/product/90...linseed-oil-1l
          USA Jackson RR1
          Charvel Model 6
          Jackson Performer-2
          Orange Dark Terror
          EVH 5150 LBX
          Hello Senòr

Comment

Yep!
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I don't know if I'll ever use it or not but glad this thread came up. All the times I heard "boiled linseed oil", I thought you guys just got linseed oil and boiled it before use.. Like to thin it and get in pores better or something.. Good to know.. :idea:
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I started using Music Nomad products about a year ago and their fretboard oil is great and readily available. It contains no silicone or lemon oil and is solvent free. I had been using Fret Doctor for the past several years and this stuff seems to keep my boards darker longer. I may be wrong but I have always thought that the boards lighten in color as they dry out.

Comment

I've tried a mixture of things, I think the one that turned out the worst was lemoil.

Right now I'm using food grade mineral oil (has to be the edible kind from a drug store/type pharmacy). Gives the boards a good shine and keeps them a lot darker for longer than anything else I've been using. Best part is, dirt cheap. I actually used it to remove some stickers too people recommend it over a few other things because it won't hurt the clear coat either.

Comment

I as well have used mineral oil on rosewood and ebony boards with fine results.
                    A couple drops on a cloth goes a long way.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Just use regular lemon oil... It is pretty much just mineral oil. Vaseline will work and is what Jackson used to recommend in their owners manual. Motor oil will also work, so will baby oil.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My tech uses wd-40

Comment

How much should i use? Turn the bottle upside down on the rag every quarter way down of the fretboard?
                          USA Jackson RR1
                          Charvel Model 6
                          Jackson Performer-2
                          Orange Dark Terror
                          EVH 5150 LBX
                          Hello Senòr

Comment

That might be a bit much; maybe break it in 1/2 to 1/3. Once you put the stuff on, you'll be able to tell. You don't need to slather it on, either.
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I had one person ask me if he had to pull the frets up to make sure the oil got underneath the frets,I asked him where did you hear that?
                              He said his buddy does it that way and I about fell out of my chair LOLing.
                              Told him his buddy needs to put the pipe down.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X