Ebony fretboard cleaner advice...looking for alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebony fretboard cleaner advice...looking for alternatives

I have the opportunity to purchace a couple of things on Amazon (a relative is going to the U.States...) and decided to try a good ebony cleaner. I've been using Dunlop 65 Lemon Oil, and truth be told, I bet there are better products out there. I tried searching the forum and some other sites, and due to the general diversity of opinions (and sources), I coudn't set my mind for any brand. For example, Fret Doctor seems to be a popular choice, but is not available through Amazon, and I need the 2-days delivery time.

So, anyways, what would you recomend?? I don't mind buying a couple of different products since I'll be testing them, but due to my lack of knowlegde I feel I need some direction.

Thanks a lot for your help

All my guitars have ebony boards and I use "Lizard Spit", seems to work like a charmander

I found it on Ebay and gave it a shot. About $15 a bottle.
    I like black and white guitars

Comment

Boiled linseed, Danish or gun stock oil and a soft scotch brite pad. All those oils are similar, IMHO all 3 of those are better than lemon oil which for the most part is mineral oil w lemon shit.

Comment

Naphtha (which is essentially lighter fluid) to handle the actual cleaning. Then you follow it up with the conditioner of your choice. Danish oil, Boiled Linseed oil, Lemon oil, Behlen fretboard oil (pretty good stuff), Fret Doctor Bore oil, etc. Any of those will be fine.

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
          Naphtha (which is essentially lighter fluid) to handle the actual cleaning. Then you follow it up with the conditioner of your choice. Danish oil, Boiled Linseed oil, Lemon oil, Behlen fretboard oil (pretty good stuff), Fret Doctor Bore oil, etc. Any of those will be fine.

Sully
          +1 Naptha is the best fret board "Cleaner" around but it will dry the fret board out pretty quickly. Make sure you do the follow up like Sully says.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Thanks guys for your replys. I'm taking notes here, searching for the products online.

I'm really interested in the conditioners, since my fretboards are pretty clean, but that won't warranty the stability of the wood so I'm really digging into the conditioning/restoring process rather than the cleaning process.

I've been able to track down the Bore Doctor and Lizard Spit. I'll try to get Behlen Fretboard Oil from a friend in Germany since it's an english product.

All your comments are appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
              +1 Naptha is the best fret board "Cleaner" around but it will dry the fret board out pretty quickly. Make sure you do the follow up like Sully says.
              Yep, it's definitely a two step process.
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                Yep, it's definitely a two step process.
                First time I did it to a rosewood board I thought I ruined it because of the color change. It dried out so much the rosewood literally was three or four shades lighter than when I had started. I put a good bit of lemon oil on it and re-hydrated the wood and it was fine. If you want a super clean fret board Naptha is the way to go. I've never seen or used anything else that worked so well.
                This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I bought a bottle of Gerlitz Guitar Honey. I'm pretty happy with it

Comment

Oh Sweet Lemon Oil!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84 View Post
                      Oh Sweet Lemon Oil!!!
                      You know it. For drinking, anal lube, guitar cleaning, and all kinds of other ill shit! Where's Tonemonster with his lemon oil when you need him?
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        You know it. For drinking, anal lube, guitar cleaning, and all kinds of other ill shit! Where's Tonemonster with his lemon oil when you need him?
                        Anal lube!!!! Beer on the screen again TJ!! Thx bro I needed a laugh today.

Comment

You should have seen some of the epic lemon oil threads here years ago!
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'll bet bro!

Comment

Hey guys is Orange Oil good? And do you need to condition after using it?
                              USA Jackson RR1
                              Charvel Model 6
                              Jackson Performer-2
                              Orange Dark Terror
                              EVH 5150 LBX
                              Hello Senòr

Comment

Working...
                              X