Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonating a Fulcrum Trem

How?!?!

Also, If I were to go up one gauge on my strings what all should I consider?

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post
    How?!?!

Also, If I were to go up one gauge on my strings what all should I consider?
    as im writing this, im thinking "hope this is what he is askin".. LOL

one gauge from what to what..? you might need to tweak the action and intonation if its just one gauge.. maby

Ive only had experience intonating a floyd but the technique is the same I think..

Get yourself a strobe tuner and some new strings.. I bought a PC program strobe tuner for like 5 bucks that is really accurate... hit the 12th fret harmonic and then fret the 12th fret.. if its flat.. you move the saddle closer to the neck.. sharp you move it farther.. I also hit various notes/harmonics on the fret board to check and counter check.. to get it as accurate as possible..

intonation is trhe last thing you do so make sure the action/neck relief is what you want

alot of more experienced people on this forum that I.. this is what I did when I did my new 580lp..took a few times as i wanted it perfect..and since my strings wernt totally new.. had em on for like 5 days or so.. when I buy a new set.. ill probably tweak the bridge a bit..

Chords sounded so awesome with a properly and accurately intonated bridge.. I was like WOHHHH
    GEAR:
    #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
    #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
    #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
    #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
    #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
    AMPS:
    1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
    ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

You don't need a strobe tuner if you have a good ear but they really do help with intonation.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
        You don't need a strobe tuner if you have a good ear but they really do help with intonation.
        yea.. ear is somewhat lacking so a strobe tuner was a must when I had to set up my tremelo

since I practice/play through my PC w/GR5 mostly.. I opted for a PC program.. would of prefered a hand held unit or the more expensive peterson program.. initially as I was skeptical about this program.. not alot of money so my optioned where limited.. I know I wasnt going to pay another to do it though

not alot of bells and whistles but its accurate and easy to use
        http://www.tbstrobetuner.com/
        GEAR:

#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
        AMPS:
        1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's

Comment

If you are going to set intonation yourself, invest in a strobe tuner. It doesn't matter if it's a standalone or software solution but make sure of its accuracy. A good strobe tuner will be accurate to within +/-0.1 cents. Your average stage tuner or chromatic tuner is only accurate to within +/- 1 to 3 cents. This makes the strobe tuner 10-30 times more accurate which for intonation is a good thing. Strobe tuners are also much easier to read accurately than most other tuners. Even if you have a good ear strobe tuners make the job easier and faster.

Comment

Thanks dudes.....I have a strobe tuner and know how to intonate a TOM.....I just dont see where to ntonate on the Fulcrom trem!!!! Do the strings just back out of the bridge after being unwound? That was another question. I thought maybe it had to be unlocked somehow??? Maybe Im dumb!

Comment

Good luck with getting it right bro!
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Are you referring to a Floyd type trem? "Fulcrum" covers quite a few varieties.

If you ARE referring to a Floyd style, the process is a bit involved and little tedious so patience is a MUST. Here's a link to a decent description of the process.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4422042_adju...e-tremolo.html

Comment

Yeah ! The floyd type Kahler fulcrum

Comment

deleted
                    Last edited by Brandenburg; 11-23-2013, 05:55 PM.
                    GEAR:

#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                    AMPS:

Comment

Its a kahler 2550 or something like that, the kind on two bolts.
                      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post
                        Yeah ! The floyd type Kahler fulcrum
                        The process is still the same but the method might be different. With the 2720 Spyder, the process is identical- loosen the screw(s) holding the string saddle to move it in whatever direction needed. With the 2710 Killer, I honestly have no clue as I can't tell how the saddles are secured.

Comment

Pics of the trem please.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                            The process is still the same but the method might be different. With the 2720 Spyder, the process is identical- loosen the screw(s) holding the string saddle to move it in whatever direction needed. With the 2710 Killer, I honestly have no clue as I can't tell how the saddles are secured.
                            just googled the 2710 Killer.. i have no idea either

Reason I deleted one of my post because It occurred to me that he might be talking about this trem..

GEAR:

#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                            AMPS:

Comment

There are so many Kahler trems its hard to know which one he is talking about.
                              He could just go to Kahler.com and look at the pics and figure it out from the blow up pics.
                              The fulcrum trem as Kahler calls it is the 2500 which came on Charvels and Jacksons in 86.
                              The Kahler steeler is the one closest to the actual floyd
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X