I no longer hate heel truss rod nuts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I no longer hate heel truss rod nuts!

I know it's not a big deal to some people but I do not like heel truss rod nuts. When I need to tweak a truss rod (usually twice a year) I don't want to mess around with loosening the strings, loosening the neck, tweaking the rod and hope it's right where I want it. I even go so far as to leave the truss rod covers off my guitars because they're just one more impediment. I also admit that I feel it's an outdated design especially when there are solutions to making heel truss rod nuts easier to adjust.

That brings up my current project which is based around a Charvel USA Production Model. Stew Mac sells the spoke truss rod nuts. When I send the guitar off to Mike Learn for a refin, I also had him modify the neck and body to accommodate the spoke truss rod nut. I'm really glad this worked out because I've got two more Production Model projects in the pipeline.

That is so simply and elegant at the same time! Great idea and cool look too!

Comment

Nicely done. What tool do you use to turn that wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        Nicely done. What tool do you use to turn that wheel?
        Heh, I'm not sure if there's an official tool for it but from handling the nut I'd try a small hex wrench first.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
          Heh, I'm not sure if there's an official tool for it but from handling the nut I'd try a small hex wrench first.
          Oh ok, just curious. The holes look round, like they might fit a screwdriver.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            Oh ok, just curious. The holes look round, like they might fit a screwdriver.
            Now that you mention it I can definitely see a small screwdriver working too.

Comment

Truss rod tool works on these just fine.
              Looks good and is a functional improvement IMO. I may do it to my next project.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Do those just pop in? Been wanting to do that mod for a long while now to both of my pro-mods but hesitant because I wasn't sure what I would have to do.
                It's pronounced soops

Comment

You the man! I've got a couple of Gtrs with spoke truss adjustment.
                  I can't for the life of me understand why they aren't an industry standard,
                  except that the big boys would have to completely retool for it. One of
                  those things that once you use it, you don't know how you got through
                  life without it!

Comment

Oh yeah, they're also dual action in addition to being more
                    convenient. No compromise on getting the relief just so...

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                      Do those just pop in? Been wanting to do that mod for a long while now to both of my pro-mods but hesitant because I wasn't sure what I would have to do.
                      All in all it's pretty simple. Besides the obvious changes to the neck and the body, you'll just need a couple of washers to get the new truss nut snug against the truss rod threads. Any competent luthier can make the required changes.

Comment

It is a pretty straight forward procedure that can be done on the fretboard with a saw and a few files. A router gets a bit hairy in that area. You have to make sure there is enough distance to properly seat the adjusting nut against the washers that are on the truss rod. I had to add two extra brass washers to the assembly. The body could be done with a dremel if you are steady. A dremel router base would be a good way to handle the machining. I used a plunge router and template I made for this mod.
                        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                          ...and template I made for this mod.
                          Cool. The next two I send you will be a little bit easier then.

Comment

I have removing my neck (to get to the heel truss rod screw) down to a 3 minute process.
                            1) put a paper towel under the Floyd
                            2) lay guitar face down, and back out the neck screws
                            3) Carefully angle the neck out, and the strings will go slack
                            4) Adjust the truss rod
                            5) put the neck back

Done!
                            '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                            '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                            '98 PRS Custom 22
                            '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Working...
                            X