Making parts suck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making parts suck!

Made a back cover for a Model 3 body, out of plexiglass, OMG what a pain in the butt. It being clear is kind of cool though. Anyone else go through a lot of trouble making something simple for a guitar?
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

When I stripped the "waaaaaaaaaaaay to thick" poly off my Ibanez and tru-oiled, the back covers were too think. So I made some out of the metal clip boards we have at work for posting useless info nobody cares about. Tin snips, a drill, and some black paint and voila! lol
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
      Anyone else go through a lot of trouble making something simple for a guitar?
      A person who comes to mind is Dave on fretsonthenet. I had him make an ESP Truss Rod cover for me. Not sure how hard it was for him to get the correct shape and look.

Comment

Dave has some nice stuff, I've spent some time at his site spending money in my head, that's not in my pockets. Sadly I'm a crazy DIY guy. I thought about just getting one from him. But decided to see if I could do it myself and it turns out, I can. Surprised the crap out of me. I need to make another one for a Model 475 I got with a homemade one on it. It will take me forever I'm sure. Why do today, what can be done tomorrow? Cool stuff warlock.
        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I made a plexi control cover for my older brothers 1970's Guild B-301 Bass when his broke. I must say I agree with you 100%. It was a major pain in the ass.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I'm thinking about trynig to make a template for a guitar body from a trace of an existing body...only problem is I can't get off the ground because I cannot decide on the most accurate method of tracing a body with contours....lol. I am thinking of making some sort of 90 degree scribing block thingy. Pencil is a bit wobbly eh.
            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
              I'm thinking about trynig to make a template for a guitar body from a trace of an existing body...only problem is I can't get off the ground because I cannot decide on the most accurate method of tracing a body with contours....lol. I am thinking of making some sort of 90 degree scribing block thingy. Pencil is a bit wobbly eh.
              If you can find one, a 35mm film canister with a hole poked into the bottom at the edge works. Stick a pencil into the can, and trace the body. The canister acts as a tall bearing that can ride around the whole body.

....Or just trace the body with a pencil, cut out the pattern material (mdf or similar), and shape it on a spindle sander.

.....OR.... run some masking tape around the body and run it around the router. Scary? Can be. Does it work? Yep.

Sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                take a block of wood at least an inch thick, preferably 1.75"..., drill a hole in it sized for a pencil at the center of one end.

now cut back from the sides of the hole 45 degrees on either side.. thus making a pointer with a hollow half round. stick your pencil in there and attach it with a bunch of rubber bands at the very bottom and the top of the pencil around the block so that the bands do not contact the guitar..

now.. remember when cutting out your template that the outline is the radius of the pencil bigger than the original.

or..

just carefully hole the pencil vertically and carefully trace the guitar.. does it really need to be 100% accurate???
                WWW.HELGUitars.com

Comment

No it MUST be 120% accurate (+1.5mm paint thickness excepted) otherwise my OCD will mean I will loose the motivation to carry on and fail at first base. lol. It occurred to me that I have a Model 1 with bad paint that could take a few oops's, so I might just serve that to the router table gods. I'II try the other methods too, but that seems like the easiest on a thin piece of MDF. Be interesting to see how the template compares with the pro mods and reissues also. Kind of obvious now I think about it......thanks guys!
                  You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                  X