Help with EMG Pick UPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with EMG Pick UPs

So I picked up a set of EMG's over the weekend and put them in an Explorer. I put in a set of Zakk Wylde EMG's 81/85 and wired it up for Volume/Volume/Tone as per the instructions that came with the set. I was very careful to follow the instructions. The EMG's sound OK... The only issue is that they just do not seem very hot? This is my first time with active pickups and I was expecting squealing feedback, pinch harmonics and super hot, high gain. Unfortunately, these pickups are in the gain range of a SD 59/JB (or even less). I was expecting a lot more - like the 59/JB's with an TS808 in front of the amp. It is almost like the battery is dead or almost dead. I have changed out the battery and have put in a brand new one. Slightly better but still a bit disappointing. Any thoughts? I have rechecked the wiring several times and everything is functioning properly - volumes and tone, switch, etc. The pick ups are quiet - no grounding issues. I have them set so high they are almost touching the strings.

Am I just expecting too much from the EMGs' or is something wrong?

Thankful for any help,

My first bets were going to be that the pickups weren't close enough to the strings or the battery was dead. They need to be really close to the strings though - basically, as close as they can be when you fret up high and damp the strings..
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post
      So I picked up a set of EMG's over the weekend and put them in an Explorer. I put in a set of Zakk Wylde EMG's 81/85 and wired it up for Volume/Volume/Tone as per the instructions that came with the set. I was very careful to follow the instructions. The EMG's sound OK... The only issue is that they just do not seem very hot? This is my first time with active pickups and I was expecting squealing feedback, pinch harmonics and super hot, high gain. Unfortunately, these pickups are in the gain range of a SD 59/JB (or even less). I was expecting a lot more - like the 59/JB's with an TS808 in front of the amp. It is almost like the battery is dead or almost dead. I have changed out the battery and have put in a brand new one. Slightly better but still a bit disappointing. Any thoughts? I have rechecked the wiring several times and everything is functioning properly - volumes and tone, switch, etc. The pick ups are quiet - no grounding issues. I have them set so high they are almost touching the strings.

Thankful for any help,
      If you're used to passive pick ups and this is your first set of actives it takes time to get to know them I play Duncun's and EMG pick ups only. I used to play all Duncan's exclusively. The first time I put a set of EMG's in a guitar I was surprised that they weren't as hot as I thought they'd be. Then I realized that I was playing an active pick up and I started messing with my tone controls on my head unit. After a few hours I found that not only were the EMG's way different than the Duncan's in this way- lower noise ratio gives more gain opportunity. +1 EMG in my opinion. The Duncan's are passive and have a fuller more organic sound in my opinion. +1 Duncan. EMG's are great for recording because of the lower noise. After a while I got used to my EMG's and not only used to them I flat out fell in love with them (For certain things.) If you want more gain I would suggest you check your amp settings maybe cut some of the mids and don't forget about the 18 volt mod. All of my guitars that have EMG's are equipped with the 18 volt mod and it's dirt cheap to do it your self and sounds a lot fuller in my opinion than the typical 9 volt. Here's a link to the 18 volt mod. Hope this helps and good luck bro! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Parts...item2c736230ba
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Thankful for any help,
        Possibly. Even if they are wired up correctly, EMG's sometimes seem like you have to hit the strings harder than passives to me.

Comment

Not sure if this is your problem, but make sure your guitar cable is pushed into the jack all the way. I had that low output problem many years ago when I first got a guitar with EMGs, and somebody tipped me off to the guitar cable not being in all the way. The EMG jacks can be pretty tight, and even though you may hear a click when pushing the cable in, but you may have to push it in a little more for a second click so that it's fully in.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Not sure if this is your problem, but make sure your guitar cable is pushed into the jack all the way. I had that low output problem many years ago when I first got a guitar with EMGs, and somebody tipped me off to the guitar cable not being in all the way. The EMG jacks can be pretty tight, and even though you may hear a click when pushing the cable in, but you may have to push it in a little more for a second click so that it's fully in.
            +1 Toejam I had this same issue and totally forgot about it until you made mention of it just now.
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

what amp are you using them in front of????

they should have more pinch harmonic ability than a 59/JB though.. I like running them at 18V at least though.

but it seems like a voltage or pot issue to me as well

you did put the connectors on the pickup with the arrows facing up right?
              WWW.HELGUitars.com

Comment

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I rechecked that my cable was all the way in, which it was. I pulled it out 1/2 way and I think the battery disconnects but the pick up still works with no voltage, so I could understand the comments, but this was not my issue. I tried the 18v mod and this is the sh*t. I also raised the gain on the amps and scooped my mids. This is what I was expecting from active pick ups. The amps I am playing with are the 5150 III (50 watt) and Marshall 410. Both amps sound great but the Marshall with the EMG's sounds huge for rhythm (slightly better with the EMG's). Don't think EMG's will ever satisfy me for a lead tone.

I had to mess around a little to find a spot to hide the 2nd battery in the Gibson explorer as I do not want to route the body for a battery compartment. Anyway, was able to get it all to fit. I would describe the 18v mod as lifting a wet blanket off the amp. Everything has just opened up.

Thanks again,

Comment

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I rechecked that my cable was all the way in, which it was. I pulled it out 1/2 way and I think the battery disconnects but the pick up still works with no voltage, so I could understand the comments, but this was not my issue. I tried the 18v mod and this is the sh*t. I also raised the gain on the amps and scooped my mids. This is what I was expecting from active pick ups. The amps I am playing with are the 5150 III (50 watt) and Marshall 410. Both amps sound great but the Marshall with the EMG's sounds huge for rhythm (slightly better with the EMG's). Don't think EMG's will ever satisfy me for a lead tone.

I had to mess around a little to find a spot to hide the 2nd battery in the Gibson explorer as I do not want to route the body for a battery compartment. Anyway, was able to get it all to fit. I would describe the 18v mod as lifting a wet blanket off the amp. Everything has just opened up.

Thanks again,
                  Glad I could help man! Now crank that sombitch up and play some METAL!!!

Comment

Hmm, that's weird. I don't understand how just adding in an extra 9v would fix the problem. I've only ever used one battery and had great tone and sustain. I also prefer the 85 in the bridge with either an 81 or 60 in the neck.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X