Pick-Ups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick-Ups?

I have been patiently looking for my first Jackson guitar for probable the past 6 months.
    I have seen a lot of opinions out there about pick-ups so I was wondering how people would rate them best to worst.
    I would like to play rock (AC/DC, 80’s Rock, etc.) to heavy metal (Anthrax, Slayer, etc.) on it, but also play blues. Is this too much to ask for from one guitar? I was looking to buy a used one and not spend more then $300.

Here are the pick-ups I have come across in possible guitar purchases.
    EMG HZ
    EMG 81/85
    Jackson
    Duncan Designed
    Seymour Duncan

Thanks.

Some guitars are better suited to certain styles than others BUT you can play any style on any guitar!!

Re: pickups preferences....very subjective....if possible try a few guitars w/the models you mentioned before buying!!

Comment

You can play any style on any guitar Blood Splatter summed it up well.
      Pick ups? Well if they sound good to you then they are good pick ups.Don't buy into the hype over pick ups.
      No one brand of pick up is better than the other, finding the set that sounds the best in your guitar is the key.
      Last edited by straycat; 09-18-2013, 11:07 AM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by steamboatharley View Post
        I have been patiently looking for my first Jackson guitar for probable the past 6 months.
        I have seen a lot of opinions out there about pick-ups so I was wondering how people would rate them best to worst.
        I would like to play rock (AC/DC, 80’s Rock, etc.) to heavy metal (Anthrax, Slayer, etc.) on it, but also play blues. Is this too much to ask for from one guitar? I was looking to buy a used one and not spend more then $300.

EMG HZ
        EMG 81/85
        Jackson
        Duncan Designed
        Seymour Duncan

Thanks.
        PAF style pickups (Alnico Magnets, wound to around 8K with 42 gauge wire) are what you want for AC/DC, but thrash metal can be funner with a higher output ceramic pickup (note the DC resistance <> output, but many times may be an indicator).

A good amp can take AC/DC pickups to Thrash levels, but most people say you can't do AC/DC with high output pickups. I disagree. My LP with the 496R/500T combo can get a great AC/DC IF I go into a clean tube amp and let the pickups do the overdriving.

But for the best sound, you really need two different guitars with different pickups. I'd rather use my low output PAFs or 1956 P90's for AC/DC, and something high output like the 500T for Thrash.

Comment

Originally posted by steamboatharley View Post

EMG HZ
          EMG 81/85
          Jackson
          Duncan Designed
          Seymour Duncan

Thanks.
          Well out of what you have listed I'll tell you my opinion #1 Seymour Duncan #2 EMG 81/85 #3 Jackson #4 EMG HZ #5 Duncan Design. These are my personal taste from what you've listed and my personal experiences. In no way am I telling you one is better than any other. Just telling you what my preference is. Like the other guys said a "Good pick up" is all in what you like and a very subjective issue. Some people hate Duncans and love EMG's. Some people Hate EMG's and love Dimarzio's. It's all about what your ear prefers.
          Last edited by leftykingv2; 09-18-2013, 04:07 PM.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

What amp are you playing through? I (and most here I think) have guitars with all brands and use them for whatever each sounds good with. I like my EMG Soloist through my Mesa Mark style module (I use Randall MTS amps) for AC\DC. Would never have picked those but just stumbled on it one day and it sounded pretty good... Amp has lots to do with what works for what.. Think of it as a whole rig and you'll get it there. Plus, if you don't like what you get, nothing a trade and a soldering iron can't fix..
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Ultimately it depends on how close you want to get to the tones you're aiming for. The amp, pedals, and guitar will have more to do with it than the pickups. A Gibson SG with a Duncan Full Shred in the bridge through a BOSS SuperOverdrive into a 20w amp with a 6" speaker will get you close to a Judas Priest 'Living After Midnight' tone, when the song is played back through a given pair of speakers.

What you're hearing through your stereo, car, or PC speakers, or headphones, is not going to be the same as hearing it live, even if you completely ignore the variables of concert volume and venue. If they were playing at household volume in your house, it's still going to sound different than if you had the same guitar, amp, and pickups.

Your best option for that variety of tones will be something high-output, like an EMG 81 or Duncan Distortion or DiMarzio SuperDistortion so that you can tweak the output with your volume knob. Neither of those is going to sound like Angus' Gibsons, or Scott Ian's Jackson, or Kerry King's ESPee, or whatever you're looking for, but it will give you the widest variety of tonal options when you tweak the volume and tone knobs of the guitar, as well as the tonal settings of your pedals/amp.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the response.
                I guess I have had a bit of tunnel vision. My focus has been on the guitar. I have yet to even consider what amp. I currently have a cheap practice amp that I hope gets me by for a little bit, at least it’s electric. As I said I am a beginner so I will do a lot of research again to determine my amp purchase.
                I am glad to hear that it is mostly subjective on pick-up choice. I am hopefully going to look at a 2010 DK2 this weekend for sale with HSS Seymour Duncan setup. The guy said it is mint condition and he seems to be open to an offer of $300. Hopefully I get to see it before it sells.
                On another note but similar question I have also been looking at a Digitech RP-355 processor. Does this open up some doors for playing style for allowing me more flexibility in output?
                Thanks again.

Comment

Any used MIJ Jackson would fit the bill nicely. IMO, the amp has more to do with the tone; as long as the guitar feels comfortable, you can play whatever style on it. I was going to recommend a DK2. I don't know how "new" you are to guitars, but I would get one with a Floyd Rose type bridge, if you already know your way around the guitar, or one with a hard tail or tunomatic if your new to playing...

BTW, the Digitech RP-335 has all the presets for giving you the tone your looking for and tweaking sounds to your taste. You'll probably be happy with it, if you get one.
                  Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                  Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Also check out Bareknuckle pickups

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/mai...ckup=riff_raff

the "Riff Raff" is close to early AC/DC tone.For 80s Metal the "Holy Diver" seems quite good.
                    But keep in mind that the guitar type (construction) has a big influence in tone.
                    Guitars: Jackson KE-1, JRS-1, SL-1 / Charvel 750XL / Gibson Les Paul Standard

Comment

Originally posted by HOTRIFF View Post
                      Also check out Bareknuckle pickups

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/mai...ckup=riff_raff

the "Riff Raff" is close to early AC/DC tone.For 80s Metal the "Holy Diver" seems quite good.
                      But keep in mind that the guitar type (construction) has a big influence in tone.
                      Bareknuckles are pricey as hell but they do sound really good! Another good boutique pick up builder is http://www.motorcitypickups.com/ Jerry Cantrell swears by the Afwayu and I even hear Kings X uses them and so does Dean Deleo.
                      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

For right now, if I were you I would focus less on what pick ups are in the guitar and focus more on finding a guitar that feels comfortable to play and sounds good to you without being plugged in.

You can always swap pick ups in the future when you get the amp you want.
                        I DESPISE ROSEWOOD WITH A PASSION!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X