Model 4 finish fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 finish fix?

I've got a Model 4 on the way in the mail, and it's got a couple of plages where the finish has broken off, exposing bare wood. What's the best way to touch up on this? Any tips on what to use?
    Thanks!
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Use a sharpie? I know, the joke is getting old. My local guitar shop actually does repairs on site. They still have to order the paint if it isn't a standard finish like black or white.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Strip and respray? It's a lot of work but it matches perfectly when finished. Good luck.
      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

What color? Drop fill with matching nail polish, then fill with clear CA and sand flat and buff is often 'close enough' for a player guitar.

Larry

Comment

Post pics of the damage and we can better access what to do.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I was kinda hoping to not strip and refinish..Seems a little too much for a pretty standard Model 4 Pics to follow..

Comment

Any good painter can fix things but matching the repair is the hard part.If the paint is really bad then a model 4 is worthy of a refin IMO.
              Stew Mac has thick super glue you can fill the chip up too a point the drop fill with nail polish to fill in the color then use clear to fill it the rest of the way then sand flat and buff it out.
              Last edited by straycat; 09-16-2013, 09:30 AM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It depends on the color. Some are easier than others. Most of the time you are dealing with a build up issue. Anything sealed or topcoated with polyester will be tough to make look seamless, unless it is black.
                Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

The model 4 is black, so I'm hoping that this might be Ford the easy way with nailpolish and superglue

Comment

I actually decided to go with Larrys suggestion; drop fill with nail polish and super glue.. I got a black nail polish that's close enough, and it covers the wood well. The problem is that most of the missing paint is on the edge of the body, what do I do to keep the superglue from running over the edges of the gaps that needs to be filled? Split the gap in half using masking tape and fill one half at a time? ( but I have to say, this model 4 looks better already, now if I only can find a trem arm for a Takeuchi JT-580, then I'm all set!

Comment

Working...
                    X