Odd resonating problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd resonating problem

This is on my ESP Mii neckthrough. I was getting a resonation that sounded like the trem springs, put foam under them, still there, put a piece under the spring claw, still there. After some more troubleshooting I've foud that the resonating is coming from the strings between the nut and the tuner. I've never had this issue on any other guitar, has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to fix it? One other thing, this guitar does have the string retainer bar that the strings go under right after the nut, could this be the problem?
    My Toys:
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

tighten, snug up the tuner shaft nuts. Might have one that's a lil loose
    >^v^<

Comment

It's either the string retainer or the tuner shaft like Murkat said in my opinion but are you sure the noise isn't coming from the nut itself? My buddy had a guitar that had the old school two allen bolts going through the back of the neck holding the nut on and he had a similar problem. We found out after some messing with it that the allen bolts in the back of the neck that held the nut on were loose. We tightened them up and the noise stopped. Good luck bro!
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Never thought to check the tuner shaft nuts. And I've though about pulling the string retainer off to see what happens. I know it's not coming from the nut itself. It's good and tight and doesn't have the bolts all the way through the neck.
        My Toys:
        '94 Dinky HX in Black
        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

If it has a retainer don't pull it off unless you plan on putting it back afterwards because it's there for a reason.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I've had string-after-nut resonance. My 7-strings do that. Piece of pickup-box foam helps. Or a Strat-style tree.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

As has been said, most likely culprits are tuning shaft nuts and make sure you keep your Floyd lock nuts at least finger tight or they can do the same thing. I don't often keep the low strings locked down unless I'm doing something important, and nut clamps can vibrate as well if they're not locked down.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I'm assuming it's more of a tonal ring than a rattle? Like reverb? If so, it's the strings. If it's a rattle, and it's the springs, you got major issues
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  I've had string-after-nut resonance. My 7-strings do that. Piece of pickup-box foam helps. Or a Strat-style tree.
                  I do that to all my guitars. Got it from dimebag who did it to all of his guitars with either foam or electrical tape. Seen some people use girl's hair ties.

I DESPISE ROSEWOOD WITH A PASSION!!!

Comment

All of the tuner nuts were good and tight. I shoved a piece of foam up under the strings just behind the nut and it seems to have gone away. Also though, I realized that I had the retainer bar too high. Lowering it before I put the foam in helped alot. I also took out the active EMG 81 pickups, I'm just not an EMG fan, and replaced the with a Duncan Distortion & Jazz. The guitar is nice and quiet so far.
                    My Toys:
                    '94 Dinky HX in Black
                    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

It's not just the tuner nuts, but the buttons (actual keyheads). But, since it wasn't a rattle, that wouldn't be an issue here.

Glad you got it worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        It's not just the tuner nuts, but the buttons (actual keyheads). But, since it wasn't a rattle, that wouldn't be an issue here.

Glad you got it worked out.
                        Yea, it wasn't a rattle. One of the first things I do when looking at a new to me guitar is to bump the body with me fist in different spots and see if anything rattles.
                        My Toys:
                        '94 Dinky HX in Black
                        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I've actually had loose tuner buttons and never heard them amplified.

Comment

Working...
                          X