Pullup Vs. Dive on Trems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pullup Vs. Dive on Trems?

Whats the proper ratio of pull up to dive? It looks like the more pull up I have, the looser the springs are and the more springy the trem. In fact, te way I have the trem set with the tremolo almost level, the springs want to pop out on a pull up. Maybe I have the wrong tremolo, since this is a parts mutt.?
    Waht did Dimebag( the master) use?
    Last edited by MegloManiac; 09-12-2013, 12:43 AM.

I don't know what Dime used spring wise but if you're using a Floyd Rose type tremelo you want it to be as level as possible. The Floyd type trem is set to work the best when it's completely level. When you do dive bombs the springs stretch and when you do pull ups the springs compact. If you're Trem is set up properly you should always have more dive bomb range than you do pull up. My trems are all set up perfectly level and on most of my guitars I can get a two to two and a half step pull up. Dive bombing is never really measured in steps because your strings will go all floppy after a certain level of bombing. Here's a link. Hope it helps. http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/FloydTuning.htm##setup
    Last edited by leftykingv2; 09-12-2013, 02:10 AM.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

There's no "proper" ratio as guitars and trems vary, and even within the same models. Roughly speaking, I get about half as much pull up as dive on most of mine. Factors effecting that are whether it's flush mounted, recessed, string action: how close strings are to the frets as well as the pickup (when you pull up, strings will hit the p'up's or last fret), whether you have a big block under it, trem cavity size, etc.

If your springs are threatening to pop out two things could be at issue- too short of a trem block or the block was installed with the spring holes angled the wrong way. Spring hoies are drilled into the block at a slight angle to prevent slippage. Ibanez, Gotohs and Kahler Spyders actually have a bar that clamps over the bottom of the block, locking the springs in place preventing the springs from popping out.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
        If your springs are threatening to pop out two things could be at issue- too short of a trem block or the block was installed with the spring holes angled the wrong way.
        Excellent advice. +1
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

All info is spot on.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
          X