San Dimas Re-fret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Dimas Re-fret

I did a search on this and didn't find the info I was looking for.

I've got a Music Zoo San Dimas Natural in need of a partial re-fret. According to the specs, it's got Jumbo frets.

My question is: what manufacturer does Charvel use for its frets and where can I get them? I'm guessing they're Dunlop, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any and all help.

I know this is no help, because I'm not sure myself, but I think it's Dunlop 6100. Somebody that will know for sure will probably come along to correct me shortly.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The correct source is Sanko SBB-215's. 6100's should be close enough, especially after a fret dress (which you should do after a refret anyways). Or, refret the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        The correct source is Sanko SBB-215's. 6100's should be close enough, especially after a fret dress (which you should do after a refret anyways). Or, refret the whole thing.
        Cool. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Consider refret the whole board.
          The board will feel consistent,
          and has been my experience that a partial refret is just as time consuming as a full.
          (getting the new frets to look, feel right as the originals)
          >^v^<

Comment

+1 to Murkat. There's really no point in a partial refret in my opinion. Do the whole board and be done with it. Even if the other frets are still in good shape I doubt you're going to be able to get the new frets to feel exactly the same as the old ones just because of wear. I know the difference might be very small between the new ones and the old ones but I would still do the whole job instead of going back and having to do half the board again at a later date. That's like changing half the strings on a guitar.
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

it's a huge cost difference between a few frets and the entire board. I would just redo a the few and get the fret dressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                it's a huge cost difference between a few frets and the entire board. I would just redo a the few and get the fret dressing.
                Maybe there is a big price difference, but can you put a price on knowing as you move your hand over the frets it's going to be consistent all the way? I've seen a few over the years with partial refrets and it's always noticeable. It's a difference that you're going to notice every single time you pick it up. Yes, it may cost you more, but give yourself the peace of mind knowing that when you get the entire thing done you're going to find yourself at ease with it alot faster than with a partial. Keep in mind that if you do a partial then wind up wishing you had done the complete thing after, even if you have the same person do the rest of the frets, it's still going to be a second partial and while it may be close, it's still not going to be exactly right. Save yourself the time and frustration. Do the whole thing and be done with it. You'll be much happier in the long run and you'll reallize that it was money well spent.
                In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
                  Maybe there is a big price difference, but can you put a price on knowing as you move your hand over the frets it's going to be consistent all the way? I've seen a few over the years with partial refrets and it's always noticeable. It's a difference that you're going to notice every single time you pick it up. Yes, it may cost you more, but give yourself the peace of mind knowing that when you get the entire thing done you're going to find yourself at ease with it alot faster than with a partial. Keep in mind that if you do a partial then wind up wishing you had done the complete thing after, even if you have the same person do the rest of the frets, it's still going to be a second partial and while it may be close, it's still not going to be exactly right. Save yourself the time and frustration. Do the whole thing and be done with it. You'll be much happier in the long run and you'll reallize that it was money well spent.
                  What he said ^^^^

Comment

Working...
                  X