Musician's Gear Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musician's Gear Strings

Anyone using the $1.99/pack Musician's Gear strings from Guitar Center or Musician's Friend? Not really trusting of reviews on retail sites. I'm looking to get about a dozen sets of something right now. I usually get EB Slinkys but the EB ten packs only really go on sale during xmas.

GC has EB's on sale quite often I wouldn't trust the $1.99 pack at all.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Strings are not something to pinch pennies on bro. They're cheap enough already. If you're using a Floyd or any other type of floating bridge I wouldn't risk it. Especially if you're playing in a live situation it's just not worth it. If you really want to save money I'd suggest buying brand name in bulk. That's what I do. D'Addario sells sets of 25 packs for $73.99 which comes out to about $2.96 a pack. The same strings are $7 dollars a pack here in PGH. PA. If I went to the store and bought 25 packs it would cost $175 dollars. So I buy in bulk and save $101 dollars. Best way to go in my opinion. Plus you can't beat getting a set of top quality strings for $2.96 a pack. You won't find a better deal anywhere. I order them from Musicians Friend by the way.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
        Strings are not something to pinch pennies on bro. They're cheap enough already. If you're using a Floyd or any other type of floating bridge I wouldn't risk it. Especially if you're playing in a live situation it's just not worth it. If you really want to save money I'd suggest buying brand name in bulk. That's what I do. D'Addario sells sets of 25 packs for $73.99 which comes out to about $2.96 a pack. The same strings are $7 dollars a pack here in PGH. PA. If I went to the store and bought 25 packs it would cost $175 dollars. So I buy in bulk and save $101 dollars. Best way to go in my opinion. Plus you can't beat getting a set of top quality strings for $2.96 a pack. You won't find a better deal anywhere. I order them from Musicians Friend by the way.
        Couldn't agree more. For the peace of mind you'll have knowing you've got a quality set of strings on any axe, especially in a live situation, is worth the extra cost. I'd say lefty offers up the best suggestion so far if you change strings often.
        In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

I bought them because my son was learning and popping strings like mad tuning higher and higher then POP. They felt great but the tone wasn't there to me. I'd buy one set to see if you like them or not. Honestly it's $2 try and see if you don't like them change them to what you like.
          It's pronounced soops

Comment

^ yeah, great for certin situations; I keep a bunch on hand for setting up guitars. If its not right, and I got to disassemble it again, i only wasted two bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
              Strings are not something to pinch pennies on bro. They're cheap enough already.
              True, but I have nine guitars. It all adds up. I did find a guy selling 6 sets of XL110s for $10. I'll be picking those up today. Anyone try webstrings.com? I saw this site mentioned in a Telecaster forum.

Comment

Originally posted by gerryl98 View Post
                True, but I have nine guitars. It all adds up. I did find a guy selling 6 sets of XL110s for $10. I'll be picking those up today. Anyone try webstrings.com? I saw this site mentioned in a Telecaster forum.
                I have somewhere in the realm of 25-26 I think now. It does add up especially when using different tunings and different gauge of string or nylon and acoustic etc, but you know what sucks more than a cheap string breaking or sounding dead on a nice instrument you just tuned up and are getting ready to enjoy? .........Have you ever been with a beautiful hot young chick who wants to suck your d!@k and you can't get it up?

Find a nice set that you like and trust and buy a bunch when they are on sale. It will provide you with much more happy endings. You can't really be playing all nine at the same time anyway.
                Last edited by Donovan; 09-03-2013, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gerryl98 View Post
                  If you have nine guitars then buy bulk like I said. It's the best strings for the best price you're going to find. I'll spend the $2.96 on a pack of D'Adarrio and get a quality string rather than waste $1.99 on a pack of crap. You're talking about a 97 cent difference in price and light years in quality difference.
                  This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I usually order 10+ packs of EB SuperSlinkys from AMS. I think they're around $3 each? Less than $4 last time I looked.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I just bought a 3 pack of D'addario's on Ebay for like $10/free shipping. I totally agree with what the other guy's are saying about buying quality strings, I've bought cheap generic strings before and they sound like shit and break too easy. If I had more money I would buy the 25 pack of D'addario's that Lefty was talking about; that's a great deal.

It would be cool if D'addario had a 25 pack that you can mix and match different gauges though... :idea:
                      Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                      Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

I'm with the folks out there. Remember, whichever your guitar is an expensive custom one or a cheapo MIC, it's an assembly of wood with a 5$ pack of strings...

So what? Don't cheap out on the strings. Find the one brand you like and stick with it.

I tried once the cheaper brands (in my years of pre-good-job) and I remember opening a brand new pack just to discover the strings were already rusted.

There is a few good web options these days where you can get like brand names for around 4$ a pack or so shipped to your door. Google is your friend.
                        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by Maiden89 View Post
                          I just bought a 3 pack of D'addario's on Ebay for like $10/free shipping. I totally agree with what the other guy's are saying about buying quality strings, I've bought cheap generic strings before and they sound like shit and break too easy. If I had more money I would buy the 25 pack of D'addario's that Lefty was talking about; that's a great deal.

It would be cool if D'addario had a 25 pack that you can mix and match different gauges though... :idea:
                          ^^^^^This is a genius Idea Maiden89!!! It would be nice if you could mix and match!!

Comment

Working...
                          X