Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove glued in strap buttons and glue from body.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove glued in strap buttons and glue from body.....

I just got an epi les paul on trade and some goob glued in the strap buttons. I have no idea what type of glue was used. It spewed out all around the strap buttons as well. It's clear so it might be some sort of super glue. Any idea how I can remove the extra residue on the body as well as get the strap buttons out so I can put on strap locks?

your in TN, come on over

not knowing the glue, that is a tough one.
    you could try heating up the buttons with a solder iron till the glue breaks free...
    >^v^<

Comment

Yeah, I'm in Johnson City TN though which is about 5hrs from Nashville. I was just down there last week though up in Clarksville taking my daughter to Austin Peay college.

That's a good idea about the soldering iron! I might give that a try!

Comment

Could also be epoxy, and probably in there so the strap pin screws would stay put, which means you'll need some wood screws, which are probably bigger than the Dunlops.

Get a flathead screwdriver (or chisel) and a small hammer (I said SMALL, dammit! ) and gently tap around the base of the glue blob or the pin to break it loose from the body. That should at least get the screw to turn.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You mean I can't use my framing hammer? HA HA!

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
            You mean I can't use my framing hammer? HA HA!
            you could... But, I would try it with a chizel fo shizel first
            >^v^<

Comment

Got around to messing with the guitar today and guess what? The screws and strap buttons come right off with no issue! Are you ready for this? The guy glued the pads to the surface of the guitar!!! What a goob! I don't know if that stuff will come off or not. Seems pretty solid.

Comment

Working...
              X