Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Trem Blocker??

Hey guys,

Tonight I was planning on re-stringing the Jackson as I haven't had a chance to even do it yet (haven't even been playing it as I've been sick). I started unwinding the Low E and A (D String is broken) and the floyd went back into the recess cavity meaning I couldn't unlock the strings from the bridge end with an allen key. I've left it for now, but is there a device I can put in the spring cavity that has the option to block the trem/to keep it still for when I change strings? If so please recommend me the best device to get. Preferably something easy to install.

Cheers
    Nathan (Slashrox)

Kramer Pacer Deluxe (1984)
    Fender Stratocaster (2006)
    Jackson PC-1 (2012)
    Kramer Pacer Classic (2013)
    Gibson Les Paul Traditional (2014)

Roland Cube 80gx 1x12 combo
    Fender Supersonic 4x12 cab

Here ya go....

http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index...roducts_id=191

Comment

You can stick just about anything behind the block to keep it from dropping back (paper towels, 9v battery, big pencil eraser). But you can also just push down on the bar with one hand and then use the allen key in the other hand to easily unlock the strings. I've strung/restrung a Floyd many times without a need for anything blocking it.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Why don't you just change the strings one at a time so the whammy doesn't pull back or you can just push the bar down to gain access to the screws again. You can stick anything back behind the trem block to stop it while changing strings but you're still going to have the spring tension yanking back on it and it usually pulls it off the studs. Just do one string at a time unless you have to pull them all off for cleaning or something.

Comment

I usually just do what Toejam said and I never have any problems.
          Last edited by leftykingv2; 08-26-2013, 05:22 PM.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Here ya go. 1/4in. square by 3 ft. dowel from home depot. $1. Get one of these, cut a small piece off and slide it in between the trem block & body. http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-ft-x-1-...5#.UhvpMBYo7Dc
            My Toys:
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
            '94 Dinky HX in Black
            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
              Here ya go. 1/4in. square by 3 ft. dowel from home depot. $1. Get one of these, cut a small piece off and slide it in between the trem block & body. http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-ft-x-1-...5#.UhvpMBYo7Dc
              That's a great idea and it beats spending the $20 dollars.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Better using a harder wood dowel if you can find it. Some Poplar/Rosewood/Maple would be preferable (to me).
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Toejam hit the nail on the head: a big ass eraser. It won't mar or cause any indentations on the surface of the cavity or body. I use the firm white ones (which do cost more... unless you're an art teacher ) and they give very little.

Comment

A wooden paint stir stick works too.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

All these methods sound good, but ideally I would like a trem blocker for ease of restringing incase i don't have access to anything else, also to have it set to dive mode incase I want to put a d-tuna on for example etc. I've been looking at the Tremelo stopper from FU (the link that vklobucarput up). Also heard of the tremol-no which looks like a handy device too. I'll probably have someone install it as I can't set up a guitar or modify one to save a life... I only know how to re-string, tune and play
                      Nathan (Slashrox)

Kramer Pacer Deluxe (1984)
                      Fender Stratocaster (2006)
                      Jackson PC-1 (2012)
                      Kramer Pacer Classic (2013)
                      Gibson Les Paul Traditional (2014)

Roland Cube 80gx 1x12 combo
                      Fender Supersonic 4x12 cab

Comment

I throw a shop towel folded up under mine when restringing. Since my only Floyd is a top mount, it protects the finish from the trem digging in.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                        X