Need some Bridge pickup suggestions for my new GMW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some Bridge pickup suggestions for my new GMW

it's got a Tom Anderson SC-2 in the neck . I can't find any specs on it (output etc), but I like the way it sounds.
    the bridge is a custom custom and is way too bright for this guitar.
    it's a basswood body with a maple top and a 3 piece maple neck.
    I'm keeping it (at least for the time being) so i want a warmer
    bridge pickup , but not something that will completely over power the Tom Andersen in the neck.
    Normally I'd go for a BK alnico Nailbomb here but that will completely overpower the SC-2.
    any ideas? I've never had a basswood guitar with a maple top on it with a maple neck before??
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Hmmm. CC is usually considered a warm pickup to go into a bright guitar. Odd.

Comment

that's what I thought. the previous owner says it's a Custom custom but I'll have to yank it and take a look.
      How about a Dimarzio super distortion? I've never had a guitar with one of these in it before LOL!

Comment

Funny you mention a Super Distortion Nick as I was gonna suggest Dimarzio....but not that model....try an Evolution or a Breed imo!!

Comment

Try a Gravity Storm. The newest one from Vai. I have them in a Jackson and an Ibanez and I like em......
          -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Tone Zone or Super 3. A Super D is nice, but it might be too bright if you think the CC is too bright.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

A super D will probably over power the SC2. Personally I've only ones one guitar w a basswood body and sold it off after trying just about everything trying to get it to sound good. To me basswood always sounds tinny bright and thin. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER View Post
                Funny you mention a Super Distortion Nick as I was gonna suggest Dimarzio....but not that model....try an Evolution or a Breed imo!!
                Chuck!!! brother how are you?
                Never tried a 6 string Evo , the 7 is not bad, I was thinking maybe Breed too, but I don't know how bright they are. I think I had a Breed in the last Model 6 I had but I never pulled it to check.
                I'll have to take a look at the 6 string evo.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Tone Zone or Super 3. A Super D is nice, but it might be too bright if you think the CC is too bright.
                  I agree with this for darker DiMarzio choices. The Super 3 was designed for the basswood Fender HM Strat, FWIW.

Comment

May want to check the wiring. The CC is a darker pickup made for bright guitars. I have one in a strat and it's a little too dark for me. If it isn't wired out of phase it'll sound very bright
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Screamin Demon, J.B. Full shred, Emg 81 or 85 (with 18volt mod) Duncan distortion, Duncan 59, Bill Lawrence XL500. Any one of these will work well. These are what I have and like so just my opinion.
                      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I think Breed it is
                        thanks for the suggestions guys

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                          Screamin Demon, J.B. Full shred, Emg 81 or 85 (with 18volt mod) Duncan distortion, Duncan 59, Bill Lawrence XL500. Any one of these will work well. These are what I have and like so just my opinion.
                          LOL! He said he gave him a darker pickup and I think you named every pickup that is the exact opposite!

Comment

the duncan distortion is pretty dark. you can also check out a BL 500L not the XL, its a much fuller, fatter and not as bright as the XL. IMHO it sounds much better and isnt the one trick pony the XL is.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              LOL! He said he gave him a darker pickup and I think you named every pickup that is the exact opposite!
                              My bad!!! I thought he needed something brighter!!!
                              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X