Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson PC-1 Tuning Stability

Hey guys,

Heres the story, first when I played the PC-1 in the guitar store, it was in tune (From October 2012). When I finally brought it home (July 2013), it was still in tune and remained that way for a week, even through all the divebombs and pullups. A week after that, the tuning started going sharp when I pulled up on the bar. I figured this was because it hasn't been tuned since October. I've had a few guitars with floyds but haven't owned one for a long time so I forgot the method of tuning up, so I ended up watching a youtube video which told me to tune up (with the locking nuts untightened) Low E, High E, B, A, G, D and to do it a few times until everything shows up perfect on the tuner (using boss gt-100 tuner). Then I put the locking nuts back on and did the same method with the fine tuners. Everything was in tune until I pulled up on the bar. It sounds like the b string is going sharp (and quite possibly the d), but as soon as I dive back down, it sounds like its back to normal. Although on the tuner, the strings show they are out.

I am puzzled to why this is. The locking nut doesn't have a clicking sound in it when I dive so I'm assuming theres no problems there. It could also be the fact that I haven't changed the strings yet (again same strings since October but they don't look very worn as I'm the only one whos played it since I put it away on layby October last year to bringing her home in July). I'm not very technical when it comes to guitar hardware, I usually give my uncle my guitar for him to set up, the only thing I do with guitars is play them or change strings. I would ask my uncle, but he doesn't use floyds and has never set a guitar up with a floyd.

What do you guys reckon the issue is?
    Last edited by slashrox; 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM.
    Nathan (Slashrox)

Kramer Pacer Deluxe (1984)
    Fender Stratocaster (2006)
    Jackson PC-1 (2012)
    Kramer Pacer Classic (2013)
    Gibson Les Paul Traditional (2014)

Roland Cube 80gx 1x12 combo
    Fender Supersonic 4x12 cab

First, try new strings. Also, put some lube on the posts/knife edges. Some folks prefer chap stick. I use Big Bends Nut Sauce. While you're at it, make sure all the allen screws are solid on the saddles and so forth. Very unlikely that is a problem, but worth checking.

If still having problems after that, something is probably moving that shouldn't be. Usually the nut or the posts.

Comment

Put new strings on it first off.
      Be sure to stretch the strings after you tune it to pitch.As you stretch each string it will be flat so tune the string back up to pitch and stretch it until it holds pitch.
      Once the string have been stretched and hold pitch lock the nut down and use the fine tuners to tune up.Should be good to go after that.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

did you completely remove the locknuts? Are they aligned correctly? If you've inadvertently rotated them 90 degrees, the B string may be slipping slightly as you pull up on the bar but not sliding back under the locknut when you release it. Hence it being sharp. It's not always as obvious as a "click" or a "ping".
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I have yet to see a single one of my guitars including my many PC1's that did not benefit from a few wraps of plumbers teflon tape on the Floyd posts.

Some arrive just slightly loose while others have WAY too much play to help tuning stability in any way.

Its a really cheap ($1.50 at Lowes) trick that helps tremendously in tuning!

As well every guitar to comes to me receives a total teardown and by that I mean EVERY single nut and screw is verified and made snug. Cant tell you how many sloppy tuners and trems not to mention neck plates I have encountered over the years while doing setups. The slightest wiggle in a part does nothing to help tuning stability.
          Last edited by vklobucar; 08-07-2013, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
            I have yet to see a single one of my guitars including my many PC1's that did not benefit from a few wraps of plumbers teflon tape on the Floyd posts.

Some arrive just slightly loose while others have WAY too much play to help tuning stability in any way.

As well every guitar to comes to me receives a total teardown and by that I mean EVERY single nut and screw is verified and made snug. Cant tell you how many sloppy tuners and trems not to mention neck plates I have encountered over the years while doing setups. The slightest wiggle in a part does nothing to help tuning stability.
            +1. I do those exact same things. People say the posts will solidify under string tension, but I still prefer to remove all doubt and add the teflon tape.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post

I'll give that a go, although I'll have to find someone to do it as I'm not very technical with guitars. The only things I do to them is change strings and play. Usually my uncle helps out with setups and all that, but I'm not sure wether to take the jackson to him as he hasn't really dealt with floyd rose guitars.
              Nathan (Slashrox)

Kramer Pacer Deluxe (1984)
              Fender Stratocaster (2006)
              Jackson PC-1 (2012)
              Kramer Pacer Classic (2013)
              Gibson Les Paul Traditional (2014)

Roland Cube 80gx 1x12 combo
              Fender Supersonic 4x12 cab

Comment

Just as a troubleshooting tool... Before you even remove the strings, verify it's tuned to pitch with the string locks tight, and loosen tension at the tuners. If it stays in tune, your string locks should be fine. If not, there's your problem.. Or at least part of it..
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                X