Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom to Custom 8 magnet swap.. Squealing mess!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom to Custom 8 magnet swap.. Squealing mess!!

^^ That's what I'm doing but this is related in general any magnet swap. I swapped a Alnico 8 magnet into a Duncan Custom SH5 this afternoon to make the popular "Custom 8" from the SD forum. Very easy and only took about 10 minutes, even stopping to follow how to videos.. I don't even know how it sounds yet because it's squealing so much I couldn't stand playing it.. Seemed about 50/50 between people saying it is or isn't necessary to re-flow the wax with a hair dryer or re-wax pot it. I didn't and it is squealing like a pig. Hopefully it'll be all good after the hair dryer treatment tomorrow. If not, I'll try re-potting with the wife-ish's paraffin hand wax setup. If still no good, I'm putting the ceramic back in. Anyone else have experience with this?
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

I've done a few magnet swaps, didn't mess with re-heating the wax, and haven't had any problems. That seems odd. On the swaps I've done, there hasn't even really been that much wax to disturb in the process.

Comment

Yeah, I was pretty surprised how bad it squealed. Couldn't get past 1-2 on the amp's MV without going ape shit.. I just pulled the tape back again and wrapped it as tight as I can without hurting anything. Then hit it with a hair dryer for about 5 minutes till the wax was soft/flowing again and let it sit to cool. Seems OK now. I can sit right in front of my RM100 and turn it to 4-5 before it starts which is about the same as my others do. I'll crank it up later but I think I'm good now.
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

As well, the 8 will make it higher-output, so there's that.

But there is always the issue that you've broken the original wax seal on the coils when separating them from the magnet/baseplate/spacers/coil screws, etc.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
        X