paint sprayer and paint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint sprayer and paint question

I have a Craftsman which i believe is 30 PSI. I was curious if this is enough to power a paint sprayer for when I paint my guitar? I don't know much about doing it this way (which is why I am doing this, to learn) but don't want to go spent the money on the sprayer if the 30 isn't enough to do the job well.

I could have sworn someone posted a link to a page that covered the best paints for doing a guitar body specifically brands etc. If anyone has this can you put that in a response here too?

I'm currently doing a rattle can job on my model 2 because... uhm... (hey look over there) and it's not turning out badly but I would like to do another warmoth guitar in the future and I'd really rather do it better. the model 2 is basically my introduction to doing this at all. It has been a bit of a confidence builder as well as a lesson in patience. so anyway.

I couldn't find anything specific in the search so please let me know. If this is the wrong place for this I apologize but since it's the tech area...
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Get a couple 2ft x 2ft pieces of plywood from Home Depot. You can get em for around $4 a piece. Sand, prime, then spray it and see how it comes out. If it looks strange turn it over and try something different. Also, I helped out a buddy refinishing a cheapo guitar. We primed, did a rattle can job with flat paint, lightly wet sanded with some 600 grit, then took it to an auto body shop and had it cleared. After wet sanding and buffing the clear it looked great and had a good durable clear coat on it. Total cost for everything ended up around $100.
    My Toys:
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Is this the site you were asking about?

http://reranch.com/basics.htm

Comment

I spray at just under 30 PSI for everything that I do.

Comment

It depends on what you are spraying and the gun you are using. High solids sealers and primers will need a larger needle size and also up to 55-60 psi depending on your gun. Urethanes are usually thicker and build up quicker. I have an Iwata for clears that has a 0.8 needle. It's LVLP so I run it at 20 psi. I am no expert - just a lot of bad decisions that later counts as experience. I also use a 15 year old Harbor Freight LVLP for colors at 20 psi. Your spray gun should also have the optimum psi for it somewhere on the gun.

Hopefully Mr. Learn will see the thread and give some advice.

Comment

Working...
          X