on board pre amp vs. boost pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on board pre amp vs. boost pedal

After much investigation and inquiry, I've been told by Seymour Duncan Custom Shop that it's both not cost-effective and likely not possible to get a p'up made that will retain the tonal characteristics of an SD Custom but with the responsiveness (gain?) of a BMP-1 driven Blackout. Scott Miller, lead tech did say, "I have found that if you want the best of all worlds, the best thing is to use a Booster pedal, so you can have the extra line gain when you want it (and as MUCH of it as you want). Otherwise, designing something like you are describing would end up being expensive due to the amount of trial and revision it would likely require."

Having that said, I have zero experience with boost pedals. Basically, I want the tone of the Custom with the responsiveness of the pre-amp, all the time. Anyone care to suggest a booster that will do that? I don't necessarily want a volume boost- just a gain boost to increase the responsiveness of the p'up.

So you ruled out the Afterburner? I've got one in my Green Spidey strat with a Duncan Custom pup and it does this very thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      So you ruled out the Afterburner? I've got one in my Green Spidey strat with a Duncan Custom pup and it does this very thing.
      I have not ruled out the Afterburner- I just don't know anything about it. Tell me more.

Edited to add: just did a little investigating and is it safe to assume you mean the EMG AB AfterBurner 20 dB pick up booster?
      Does it color your tone at all?
      Do you use it for leads, rhythms or both?
      Last edited by vector; 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the EMG. I'm not sure if it colors the tone, I had it put in when the guitar was completely rewired (so I never heard the custom in there in passive mode for comparison). It converts the circuit to "quasi-active", sort of like a JE-1200. I think the coloration, if any, is similar to that. You can disengage it by putting the knob down, but it is still quasi-active. Pull the knob up, and the boost is enabled. I usually keep it on but only turned up slightly, maybe 3/10. I think it's a good all-around tone.

Comment

Here's the strat with the Afterburner. The switch is a 3-way which gives me the parallel and series coil tap modes. Those work really well with the Custom and the Afterburner.

Comment

You could always have a switch that would bypass the boost if you wanted. That way you can have both. Just a thought.
            It's pronounced soops

Comment

Yeah, the EMG. I'm not sure if it colors the tone, I had it put in when the guitar was completely rewired (so I never heard the custom in there in passive mode for comparison). It converts the circuit to "quasi-active", sort of like a JE-1200. I think the coloration, if any, is similar to that. You can disengage it by putting the knob down, but it is still quasi-active. Pull the knob up, and the boost is enabled. I usually keep it on but only turned up slightly, maybe 3/10. I think it's a good all-around tone.
              That's how I ran mine with the EMG HZ-3s (kinda Custom-ish) in the Halford. Anything above that and it's just excessive, at least through my rack. I mounted the AB in an old MXR pedal housing but have yet to wire it up (need to find some jacks). I'd really like to hear it with the JCM800, but also want it in a pedal so I can use it with any guitar/pickup combo.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think I'm a little lost here. If you want the tone of a Custom with the responsiveness of the BMP-1 preamp, why are you not installing a Custom and the BMP-1?? I've been noticing lately that the Custom in one of my Ibanez's seems a bit weak (in that particular guitar only) and am thinking about trying the Blackout preamp with it.
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I think he's seeking more output level of the pickup - like a higher-output Custom.

While the preamp/on-board boost will affect the overall output level of the guitar, it won't really "boost" the pickup's inherent tonal aspects. The SD Pickup Booster pedal might. Haven't really looked into it.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                    I think I'm a little lost here. If you want the tone of a Custom with the responsiveness of the BMP-1 preamp, why are you not installing a Custom and the BMP-1?? I've been noticing lately that the Custom in one of my Ibanez's seems a bit weak (in that particular guitar only) and am thinking about trying the Blackout preamp with it.
                    Warlok- the BMP-1 colors the tone of the pick-up extensively. The lows end up sounding like mush and while the mids and highs are OKAY, they're not enhanced in any sense of the word. Additionally, if you put the BMP-1 with an already high output passive like the Custom, it's gonna be a hot, feedback-laden mess. This is based on amp and effects settings designed around my passive- equipped axes. I've got those dialed in to the exact place I want them and am not likely gonna fuck with those.

The benefit of the pre amp is, in my experience, that it makes various techniques effortless- the guitar's responsiveness is excellent. Harmonics both artificial and natural, are stupid simple to achieve, sustain is increased to near-sustainer level. As a result, whammy-ing is more pronounced. Hammer ons, pull offs both happen with greater ease.

Comment

Here's the strat with the Afterburner. The switch is a 3-way which gives me the parallel and series coil tap modes. Those work really well with the Custom and the Afterburner.

Axe- that is a sweet looking Strat. It looks like you drilled for the AB thru the existing finish. That's another of my concerns- modding the Charvel; it's a CS I ordered and am loathe to do anything that might threaten the condition of the finish. But I like where you have that AB knob located- out of the way.

Comment

Buy a preamp from Neal Moser and wire it to a pot. And I have yet to use an on board preamp that reacts the same with different pickups. Almost every bcrich I have owned had at least 1 preamp.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                          Axe- that is a sweet looking Strat. It looks like you drilled for the AB thru the existing finish. That's another of my concerns- modding the Charvel; it's a CS I ordered and am loathe to do anything that might threaten the condition of the finish. But I like where you have that AB knob located- out of the way.
                          Thanks! The hole was drilled by a previous owner. Note the freakin gouge mark near it, presumably made by a drill. It originally came with a hacked-up EMG install with a regular tone knob, which sounded like red, inflamed ass. I flirted with a P-rails and just a plug in the hole, which sounded like sweaty, sticky ass. Then I settled on this Custom/Afterburner config which I really like (no ass tone at all, really).

Comment

well i just put a emg pa2 in my kelly. i just wanted more from my pickups so i just set it at about 40% which im guessing is about an 8db boost. i didnt drill for the switch, just have it always on tucked in my control cavity. not sure ifthats what ur looking to do but i kept the tone of my pickups, theyre just stronger.

Comment

Get a Suhr Iso Boost pedal. Put it between your guitar and amp, and kick it on when you want the extra boost. I believe that will accomplish what you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X