Strange Crackle on E & A String - New Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Crackle on E & A String - New Guitar

Okay, so I got a new (to me) Charvel, and only with this guitar - I've tried others out with the same amp and same volume - I get this little crackling sound when I play notes on the E & A strings. It's really flipping me out. It's a solid state amp, so no tubes. Like I said, no other guitar/amp combo gets this effect...only this one. In fact, I'll add this...It only happens on the bridge pickups of a HSS config. Now, the same cracking happened with the old J50BC pup I just took out of it, as well as the J90C I just put in it. Any ideas? I'm stymied. Thanks!

Check all the solder joints sounds like a cold ground or a hair of a wire touching something it shouldn't.
    Is it when you touch the strings or while you are playing it thru the amp?
    Does the guitar have the mid boost circuit?
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Check the jack in said guitar too. Never know if it's loose or the contact bent out or not.
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        Check all the solder joints sounds like a cold ground or a hair of a wire touching something it shouldn't.
        Is it when you touch the strings or while you are playing it thru the amp?
        Does the guitar have the mid boost circuit?
        It's not when I touch the strings, or the jack or anything. It's the sound I get when playing through the amp. Yes, it has the mid-boost, going through a J90c. I've rolled the mid boost all the way back, and the same. I even lowered the pup down a great deal today and I still get the rattling/crackling, so I raised it back where it was. Hell, I even checked all the amp's speakers today, just on the off chance, even though my other guitars don't get this affect. I'll be sure to try both of your suggestions as soon as I can get it in the shop and let you know. I've been playing for 27 years, but wiring and all that is something I've never gotten into. Shame on me.

Comment

If it's only on the lowest strings, it's neither the amp nor circuit nor pickup. I'm guessing there's something wrong with the E/A saddles that generates some sort of resonance that sounds like crackling when amplified, especially if it's only on the bridge pickup (closest to the saddles).

Then again, wire the pickup directly to the jack, bypassing everything else - knobs, switches, etc. If it's still there, it's the bridge.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm thinking its the preamp not liking certain frequencies. Or not receiving them well due to a loose connection or a bad preamp itself. check the wires on the preamp and make sure they are all secure and in good condition. Try what Newc said and run the bridge pup straight to the jack and see if it goes away.
            Gil

Comment

How fresh is the battery?
              I know that sounds silly to ask but I had to.
              the saddle intonation screws could be just loose enough to cause that.
              I just fixed a guitar that had a rattle issue and it was the trem spring on the bass side touching the inside of the trem cavity.
              Put some foam under the springs and the rattle is gone.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions,guys. Yeah, as soon as I get my brass block in for the trem, I'm taking it in to a really good guy for a setup
                I know this dude will find out what's up. I'll pass on some of your thoughts on this.

Comment

Cool I hope you get it squared away.
                  Let us know what he does to fix it I'm curious.

Comment

Working...
                  X