J80c spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J80c spacing

Hey guys. I like the pickups in my Model 6, which was my first foray into Jackson pups. So I bought a J80c for my Westone Dynasty (it's a sweet crazy looking 80's V). Problem is the J80c is a 50mm spacing?! Surprised me, I figured it would be a 53mm to line up with a tremolo. Did the J80c come as a neck pickup and that's what I have? Or were all the J80c's a 50mm spacing? :think: Help, oh great experts.

the chad,

Going back in time (history lesson for you), all pickups were standard spaced. Wide F / Trem spacing didn't happen until the Jackson pickups were almost discontinued, in the early 90s.

You will just have to deal with it.

BTW, your M-6 has a J50B (BC?) with a boost. Not quite the same as the J80C. If you still have the original trem, the JT6 was narrower spaced than an OFR or JT590. So the wide spacing wasn't as big a deal for Jackson.

Comment

My 1990 Rhoads came with a J80 in the neck position.

I don't remember if it is ceramic (it might just be a J80) but it was a neck pickup from the factory. So you might have a neck pickup...

Comment

Wow you guys are quick, thanks. I'm a faithful on a couple other guitar forums. I do know about the old spacing, just didn't know particulars about this one (since I don't know when it's from). It has the black pole pieces. And yep, I know that the Model 6 has different pups, I knew someone would mention that! Just saying that I liked them and therefore would give another old Jackson pup a try. Not a lot plays like a Jackson Charvel, super nice guitfiddles. Thanks men!

Comment

The pickup pole piece spacing issue is a real issue, but about 90% cosmetic IMHO. Most of the J80's and J90's shipped with covers, so they look fine in any guitar. And +1 to the JT6 having a narrower spacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            The pickup pole piece spacing issue is a real issue, but about 90% cosmetic IMHO.
            I couldn't agree more. It's about the same argument as string spacing between poles during a bend.

Comment

Originally posted by the chad View Post
              I couldn't agree more. It's about the same argument as string spacing between poles during a bend.
              The J80C is a great pickup. If you dig it in the M6, maybe you can find a Jackson pickup cover and attach it with silicone. I've had to reattach those damn things many times.

Comment

Wait! Forgive my ignorance here, but okay, so I have a Model 3A with the original Khaler, made I'm 1986.

It came with two J-80Cs. Without the mid-boost I don't like them. So, I want to put a dimarzio Crunch Lab in the bridge position and maybe a Deactivator in the neck.

Will these need to be F-Spaced or non?

Also, while I'm at it, would I need to change any of the wiring and/or pots to get the most out of these modern pups?

Btw, the J80C is one of my fave pups ever...with the JE-1200.

Comment

Working...
                X