Intonation Problem on SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation Problem on SL2H

I have always had my SL2H in Drop D with 10-52 strings, and never had any issues with intonation. I decided to change the tuning to C standard for this guitar, and also upped the string gauge to 11-59. Of course, after changing tuning and string gauge, I had to adjust the intonation, action, etc. and everything is fine except for the low C string. I seem to have run out of room to move the saddle any further from the nut on the low C. The Open note is perfectly in tune, however the fretted 12th is about half way to C#. All the other strings are fine. Is it possible that the guitar won't accommodate a .059 string tuned to C?

.059 should be fine adjustment-wise, IMO. What I think is you have a defective string. It's easy to pull the string core loose by accident and render the string useless. Especially DR strings are prone to intonation issues in my experience..

Comment

I could be that the guitar has misplaced bridge. Can you test if .56 intonates?

Comment

I've seen some guitars that just won't intonate correctly on the lowest string with lower tunings. My Fender hardtail's low E saddle runs out of room and doesn't really like to be tuned lower than E. It'll work okay for Eb but will still be slightly off. I've seen guitars with Floyds that are also like that. Maybe the bridge is slightly misplaced?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't think the string is the problem, though I do have an extra set on hand to try. I have a .056 and a .059 that I can try. Bummer if the bridge is misplaced. How would one go about determining if that is the case? Is that something that could be addressed without a serious investment

Comment

A tech could likely dowel & redrill the mount(s), then some finishing would be required. I have no idea on the cost. I had a guitar where the wood cracked out around the treble Floyd post. The tech ended up grafting in a new piece of wood and painted it to much. I think that was $85 around 10 years ago or so.

BTW, what is up with Jackson not properly mounting Floyds? They get that wrong too much of the time. Especially too common to see the strings lined up too close to the treble side of the neck.

Comment

I don't really want to have anything done that would require any amount of finishing. The finish is Interference Fireglow, and it changes color depending on how the light hits it. i don't think it would look very good if it had to be touched up. I guess I will either put some lighter strings on and use this guitar in D standard.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Comment

My guess (of string defect) was based on the notion "everything is fine except for the low C string". If every other saddle has plenty of adjustment room left, and the low C is way out of line w.r.t other saddles, then I would conclude it's the string. Of course, if it could be a misplaced bridge, but I should think adjacent saddles were pretty close to the end of the adjustment range as well, in that case.

Comment

My vote goes to defective string as well. It is possible that the bridge could be misplaced, but sounds unlikely with the symptoms you're encountering. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from the nut to the Floyd base plate along both the low E and high e strings. The distance should be the same, otherwise the bridge is probably slightly crooked.

Plus, DR strings suck.
                  It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                  ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I'm not using DR strings. This is a Rotosound Michael Amott set. I will try with a different string and measure to see if it is off.

Comment

There is also the possibility that nothing is wrong with the bridge or the string. It could just be your choice in string along with tuning just goes outside what that guitar and bridge are able to adjust to.
                      Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
                      2007 Jackson DK2M
                      1983 Kramer Pacer Special
                      2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
                      2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Working...
                      X