Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson USA necks doing weird things? Any help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson USA necks doing weird things? Any help?

I live out in Las Vegas and I have 13 guitars in my studio room, all hanging up on the wall. The temperature during the summer time is about 80 degrees in the room ( meanwhile it's about 110 everyday outside ). I keep a humidifier in the room and the humidifier gauge usually shows at about 50%.

Lately, most of my guitars have been doing some weird things with the neck. Almost all of them needed a truss rod adjustment and the necks that once had some relief were now dead straight. I usually keep a little relief in the necks but somewhere over the past few months, they have all went dead straight.

While that is not a huge issue as I now I need to tweak the truss rods usually twice a year, some of the guitars have got to the point where the truss rod is completely loose and the guitars still could use a touch of relief.

3 of them are USA Jackson guitars with ebony fretboards, all over 10 years old.

Any idea what is going on with these guitars? Do you think maybe it's too dry or too humid in that room? Las Vegas is pretty dry and we have almost no humidity here that is why I have been running the humidifier in that room.

Any ideas or help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Jackson uses 2 way truss rods. So if the truss is loose (which is fine except that it can add some noise when playing) you should be able to snug it up one direction or another.

If you live in extreme weather, you'll need to re-setup guitars from time to time. Depending on how picky you like your action, you may need to make adjustments more regularly.

Maybe someone with more extreme temperature experience can help you.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

What do you mean by 2 way truss rod ? On my Jacksons, when you turn the truss rod to loosen it up, if you keep turning the nut comes off so obviously you cannot go any looser.

Comment

On a two way when you loosen it past neutral it will give it a forward bow to give relief. Try loosening a little more and see if tension on the nut starts to build and see.
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
          On a two way when you loosen it past neutral it will give it a forward bow to give relief. Try loosening a little more and see if tension on the nut starts to build and see.
          Nope...loosening it just made the nut fall off of the truss rod.

Comment

Is the humidifier close enough to the guitars? Buy a stand alone digital hygrometer and actually measure the humidity level at the guitars themselves. If the humidifier is on the other side of the room, the air near it may be 50% but the air on the other side of the room could be 20% or even 10%.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              Is the humidifier close enough to the guitars? Buy a stand alone digital hygrometer and actually measure the humidity level at the guitars themselves. If the humidifier is on the other side of the room, the air near it may be 50% but the air on the other side of the room could be 20% or even 10%.
              Yea..after reading more about humidity and how it affects the guitars, I think I have been keeping the room over humidified. The guitars are going in the backbow direction which is a sign of too much humidity. Maybe I need to let the room air out, dry up and keep the humidifer off.

Comment

I understand everyones concern about humidity, but I have personally found that temp can be just as much if not more of a problem, especially in extreme cases. My mother once left one of my late 80s Vs in its case up against a radiator for an extended period of time when I was not playing and I did not notice (I was storing everything with the folks). The guitar was at least 10 years old at the time and was in damm near perfect condition for an ax that saw time in clubs etc back in the day.

When I realized it and checked out the guitar, the neck was fuct and I had to have it professionally repaired. Not a cheap fix and I learned my lesson.

Now I try to keep both temp and humidity as constant as possible. So far so good, even on old origimal s-heads.
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I've got 4 USA Jacksons with ebony boards - USA CS WarAngel, USA CS WR-7, USA CS SLS, USA KV2T - and only the SLS needs to be adjusted. Trouble is, it needs to be adjusted every day, and all it does is hang on the wall. I tune it to E and a few hours later, if that long, it's up to F or F#.

None of the neckthrough Pros I've had were like that, and none of my non-ebony imports do it.

Either they just got a batch of bad ebony or maple for the necks, and yours were made with the same batch as mine (paperwork says it was completed in 2006 though I bought it in 2008) or you've got issues with humidity and I only have a bad neck/board.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X