FU Floyd Big Block Install / Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FU Floyd Big Block Install / Review

So I installed one of these on my new purple sparkle SL1. Here's my experience so far.

Installation was pretty easy, but time consuming. However, if you're not reasonably experienced in this kind of guitar tech work - especially the vagaries of dealing with Floyd trems - you might want to defer to a local shop for installation.

- remove strings
    - take a good pic of the saddle placements for reassembly / intonation purposes
    - pull the saddles
    - remove original Floyd sustain block
    - install new FU sustain block
    - reassemble Floyd, including re-eyeballing the saddle placements for intonation
    - restring and redo set-up

Due to the increased mass of the FU trem block, and its impact on spring/string tension balance, you will need to readjust the trem claw screws to get your Floyd sitting properly level above the body again. Also, unless you're experienced with doing intonations on a Floyd (I'm not), you'll have to pay a local tech to have this redone. By taking a close-up pic of saddle placement ahead of time, and taking care to realign when reassembling, I was able to eyeball this pretty reasonably close "in the ballpark". However, the factory intonation already seemed a little off to my ears to begin with, so I was planning to have this redone anyway.

I've heard some folks say they needed to remove wood out of the trem cavity to get one of these FU big blocks to work properly. IMHO, taking wood out of the guitar for this purpose would be counter-intuitive (removing tone to increase tone?) and maybe just nuts. I was lucky enough that there was no rubbing or other issues with my non-recessed Floyd, so it was ust a "drop-in" installation. I will say, though, that the increased block size - both width and height (I went from 37 to 42mm) - did have a very marginal effect on trem travel. For divebombs, I can still go all the way and get the strings totally floppy. However, the trem bar now stops maybe a quarter inch short of the body as the wider FU block hits the back of the top route hole. For pull-ups, the impact is even less. This small reduction in travel is more due to the increased width of the block, not the height. However, folks with a recessed Floyd layout might be wise to stick with the same 37mm block size.

Tone-wise, I can definitely notice a difference. There's a more pronounced mid-range, and less biting high end. The sustain has clearly increased as well. Is the tone & sustain impact huge? Well, that's pretty subjective - some will say yes, others not so much. I'll say that - going into this - I was expecting to hear an "oh wow!" improvement. And it's definitely there. But I didn't hear an "oh wow" difference, so was somewhat underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good product. And, for the price, it's definitely worth it. So I'll be keeping it in there. But was the change so amazing that I'll be running out to install it on more of my guitars? ...Uh, not so much. Let's put it this way: if on a scale of 1 to 10, swapping out your pickups to a great set that's the "right" tone for your ears is a 10, I'd rate the FU big block about 5 or so. Again, just MHO. Your opinion may vary.

I'll say what I always say: I bought and installed them in 3 different guitars. There was a difference, but to my ears it was slight. And it wasn't better or worse, just different. Not worth messing with especially considering how much the block can limit travel in some guitars (depending on how they are routed). Tons of great music was made and played with Floyds before these ever came on the scene.

I found installation to not be that big of a deal, but I've been tinkering with Floyds for years.
    Last edited by Chad; 07-06-2013, 09:38 AM.

Comment

I bought an FU 32mm brass block for my Elite KV as well as some stainless steel locking bolts and noiseless springs. I really didn't have any expectations going in, i had read all the hype and whatnot but didn't buy into it, so i decided to take the plunge and try it for myself. However, as soon as i restrung the guitar i was blown away, i noticed a very noticeable increase in the acoustic resonance of the guitar, the brass block seriously brought it to life. I was blown away by the difference when plugged in - i noticed an increase in sustain, pick attack, note definition and the block gave the guitar a brighter (but not brittle) tone. Of course, these kind of things are subjective but personally it's hard for me to imagine owning a Floyd-equipped guitar without an FU big block.
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        So I installed one of these on my new purple sparkle SL1. Here's my experience so far.

Installation was pretty easy, but time consuming. However, if you're not reasonably experienced in this kind of guitar tech work - especially the vagaries of dealing with Floyd trems - you might want to defer to a local shop for installation.

- remove strings
        - take a good pic of the saddle placements for reassembly / intonation purposes
        - pull the saddles
        - remove original Floyd sustain block
        - install new FU sustain block
        - reassemble Floyd, including re-eyeballing the saddle placements for intonation
        - restring and redo set-up

Due to the increased mass of the FU trem block, and its impact on spring/string tension balance, you will need to readjust the trem claw screws to get your Floyd sitting properly level above the body again. Also, unless you're experienced with doing intonations on a Floyd (I'm not), you'll have to pay a local tech to have this redone. By taking a close-up pic of saddle placement ahead of time, and taking care to realign when reassembling, I was able to eyeball this pretty reasonably close "in the ballpark". However, the factory intonation already seemed a little off to my ears to begin with, so I was planning to have this redone anyway.

I've heard some folks say they needed to remove wood out of the trem cavity to get one of these FU big blocks to work properly. IMHO, taking wood out of the guitar for this purpose would be counter-intuitive (removing tone to increase tone?) and maybe just nuts. I was lucky enough that there was no rubbing or other issues with my non-recessed Floyd, so it was ust a "drop-in" installation. I will say, though, that the increased block size - both width and height (I went from 37 to 42mm) - did have a very marginal effect on trem travel. For divebombs, I can still go all the way and get the strings totally floppy. However, the trem bar now stops maybe a quarter inch short of the body as the wider FU block hits the back of the top route hole. For pull-ups, the impact is even less. This small reduction in travel is more due to the increased width of the block, not the height. However, folks with a recessed Floyd layout might be wise to stick with the same 37mm block size.

Tone-wise, I can definitely notice a difference. There's a more pronounced mid-range, and less biting high end. The sustain has clearly increased as well. Is the tone & sustain impact huge? Well, that's pretty subjective - some will say yes, others not so much. I'll say that - going into this - I was expecting to hear an "oh wow!" improvement. And it's definitely there. But I didn't hear an "oh wow" difference, so was somewhat underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good product. And, for the price, it's definitely worth it. So I'll be keeping it in there. But was the change so amazing that I'll be running out to install it on more of my guitars? ...Uh, not so much. Let's put it this way: if on a scale of 1 to 10, swapping out your pickups to a great set that's the "right" tone for your ears is a 10, I'd rate the FU big block about 5 or so. Again, just MHO. Your opinion may vary.
        Shreddermon- couple of things:
        Setting intonation is a pain to be sure. It's time consuming and tedious and will test the patience of most. But it's not rocket science and there is a plethora of info online, in YouTube and websites. Your suggestion is a good one- take a good Hi Rez shot OR... you can mark where the leading edge of the string blocks come to on the base plate with a white grease pencil or even a wax based colored pencil. I actually used a plain ol' graphite pencil and it was just visible enough for me to use as a guide.

Taking wood out is one option but as you pointed out, kinda counter productive but on a tone cork-sniffer level. The reduction in tone would be minimal if not imperceptible, IMO. But, regardless, another option is to file/shave down the corners of your block, as I did in one of my Hamer Cali's. Increased trem range/play and did not noticeably effect tone.

Comment

I have been doing Floyd setups for years and this inexpensive tool is a God send. Makes setting the intonation a breeze too.

And I too swear by the Brass Big Block mods.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...s/The_Key.html
          Last edited by vklobucar; 07-08-2013, 12:32 AM.

Comment

LOL- that trem intonation tool would be GREAT... if my trems weren't Schallers!

Friggin' stubby string lock screws.
            Last edited by vector; 07-09-2013, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I stuck one of these into my new Charvel Mexi SoCal ProMod. Meh... It does make a little difference maybe in the resonance rather than directly changing tone and therefor helps sustain a little. I'd say maybe for guitars that are on the crispy side of tone, the really high and scratchy side, this can help some also with guitars made from very light or low density woods it adds something there. For something made from Mahogany for instance that has a little more density already, and a nice trem like the Ibanez LoPros etc. it may not do much.

Comment

I find the big blocks take away the snap and brightness I like about my Charvel/Floyd guitars. Plus, the stock Schaller Floyd blocks are made of brass anyway.

I guess it depends on the guitar/wood/setup, etc.
                '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                '98 PRS Custom 22
                '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Working...
                X