More Gus G Fire questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Gus G Fire questions

Installed a set in my alder/rosewood Charvel CS Star and while I eff-ing love the responsiveness of the p'ups, not crazy about the lack of tightness and oomph in the bottom and the so-so highs.
    So, on a mahogany bodied, ebony boarded shredder, would the standard Gus G's sound a little tighter due to the tone woods or would it be advisable to get the pre-amp but go with a Custom (my fave passive in similar axes) in the bridge?

Id give it a go and find out, are you going to put the duncan custom in the alder star? If so id order a pre-amp and custom bridge pickup (and your choice of neck pickup) put these pickups in the star, then try the gus g's in the mahogany guitar (i assume Hamer).

Worst outcome is that you'll want to put customs in the mahogany guitar as well

Is the mahogany guitar a superstrat shape?

Comment

@ Ralph- yeah, a Hamer Californian.

Comment

cool, this could also affect the sound as there is more wood behind the bridge on the californian than the star shape, personally i'd give it a go and see how it sounds, can always change or go back if you want to

Comment

LOL, therein lies the problem, my friend- I am notoriously lazy and impatient as it pertains to effecting mods on my guitars! Having to do it once is bad enough but the prospect of doing twice? Almost inconceivable!

Edited to add: it's been advised to avoid using high output p'ups in conjunction with a modular pre amp like the one in the Gus G. a The pre amp already boosts output considerably. So, the plan to use a Custom is out. Need a low output p'up with tighter bottom and defined highs similar to the Custom.
          Last edited by vector; 07-02-2013, 05:25 AM.

Comment

How about a '59?
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Try a Fullshred. It isn't high output and very articulate
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

PAF Pro?
                "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Well, now here's a interesting turn of events- got a reply from the folks at Seymour Duncan and according Keith Merrow, a Custom supposedly sounds great with the BMP-1 pre amp. He claims to have personally tried and loves it. Hmmm. :think:

Comment

The Fullshred is a distortion class pickup. Its just below the JB in ohms and its more midgrange focused on the low mids I Put a Fullshred in a les paul and didnt like it. It was too dull sounding. But it sounded great in Ash.
                    Gil

Comment

If the preamp is adjustable output it should be fine with almost any pup. Almost all my BCRs have preamp boosters and honestly with today's high gain amps it's almost obsolete. IMHO an EQ pedal or clean boost will give you the same effect and you will have a lot more control over the tone. Granted if your using an old tube amp it's great, even thru my buds JCM800 I can't run the preamps full on or it gets sloppy and whoooofy.
                      Alder is usually much tighter sounding than mahogany. I'm not a fan of EMGs but my mahogany warlock sounded HUGE with an 85 in it.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                        If the preamp is adjustable output it should be fine with almost any pup. Almost all my BCRs have preamp boosters and honestly with today's high gain amps it's almost obsolete. IMHO an EQ pedal or clean boost will give you the same effect and you will have a lot more control over the tone. Granted if your using an old tube amp it's great, even thru my buds JCM800 I can't run the preamps full on or it gets sloppy and whoooofy.
                        Alder is usually much tighter sounding than mahogany. I'm not a fan of EMGs but my mahogany warlock sounded HUGE with an 85 in it.
                        I don't think the BMP-1 is adjustable. Anyone know for sure?
                        As for high gain amp (I got a JVM as well as a ME 50) and/or a EQ/booster having the same effect, I doubt it. This is a touch/responsiveness thing. The Gus G Fires make the Charvel so easy to play. Yeah, I know; cheatin'. But if it makes me more capable of getting what's in my head (musically speaking ) out to my audience, then, who cares? Seriously, pinch and natural harmonics are effortless and pick nuances translate very nicely. Tapping and sweep picking are sick and hammer ons and pull offs are much more defined. Would just like to dial in a tighter low end and maybe sweeten the highs a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                          Well, now here's a interesting turn of events- got a reply from the folks at Seymour Duncan and according Keith Merrow, a Custom supposedly sounds great with the BMP-1 pre amp. He claims to have personally tried and loves it. Hmmm. :think:
                          Try a Custom then. Keith is a monster player! He and Jeff Loomis are supposed to put out an album soon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtaUNJTRzAo
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Holy shit. I don't/can't do the 7 string shred but that was fucking sick. Love Loomis' sweep picking with his old band. Just might have to try a Custom w/ the pre amp. Hope it won't be outta control.

Comment

Working...
                            X