Single coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coils

Most of my guitars that have singles have some sort of hum canceling or mini humbuckers. The Jackson I just got seems to have traditional singles. It's sounds great but the hum annoys the shit out of me. Would a decent noise gate be the way to go. Is there anything other than swapping pickups that may quiet it down.

A good noise gate will kill the him but you will sacrifice sustain through the amp
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
      A good noise gate will kill the him but you will sacrifice sustain through the amp
      + 1 and depending upon the environment, you may lose more or less sustain and dynamics.

I love the sound of the single coils but I gave on on non-hum cancelling ones a long time ago. In this day and age I feel there's no reason to have to live with hum. Hum cancelling singles sound amazing.

Comment

I use a Boss NS-2 on my board as the first pedal.Guitar into the NS-2 then into the rest.
        I love single coils but not much love for stacked singles.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

EHX hum debugger will do a way better job than a gate. Gates will stop the buzz when you aren't playing but let it come through in the background when you are.

Last edited by Hellbat; 06-13-2013, 01:57 PM.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks. Like I said I would like to keep the stock pickups as they sound killer just noisy. That him debugger looks like the way to go.

Comment

I should qualify by saying I don't own one, I've just tried it in the store. I do plan on buying one eventually for playing my strat at higher gain settings. My room is unfortunately electrically noisy as the house mains connect 4 feet away from me.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The guy told me copper shielding or a special trem cover.
                8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
                  The guy told me copper shielding or a special trem cover.
                  +1 start with shielding with copper tape. Most of the guitars use a shielding paint, but that often is inconsistent.
                  If you still have noise after shielding, look into a noise gate as mentioned.
                  My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Working...
                  X