RR3 without a ground wire????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR3 without a ground wire????

I bought an RR3 locally off of cragslist and there isn't a ground wire installed on the guitar. It looks like it was that way from the factory. There isn't any solder on the trem claw and no wire going down to it. The guitar is noisy until I touch the control plate on the front then the hum goes away. Anyone else have an RR3 without a ground to the claw?
    It's pronounced soops

It should definitely be grounded, do this....
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

could be that the previous owner had actives so didnt need the trem ground? idk

Comment

Under the wrong conditions this can lead to being shocked, but more importantly causes a 'sound of ass' in your playing ....

EDIT ~ your pup's should be grounded to the trem claw to the pick guard and pots
        (double edit) and the input jack
        Last edited by Jayster; 06-11-2013, 09:16 PM.
        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Correction: Pickups should be grounded to the pots, which are grounded to the claw, each other, switch (if it has the ground lug), and output jack.

And yeah, it may have been EMG'd at one time (from the factory??) or the claw was replaced (project stripped body from Ebay, new replacement bridge/claw), hence no solder marks.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah Idk honestly, the trem claw doesn't have any solder on it at all like it was never soldered. Very weird honestly. The it has 2 volumes and if I turn the bridge p'up volume down the neck bleeds through a little bit. Not 100% sure this isn't a mutt because it has reverse sharkies and the reg DDs in it. It plays okay but something isn't adding up. Could it just be a factory fuck up?
            It's pronounced soops

Comment

RR3's used to have reverse sharkies. I'd love to find one, or at least a neck.

Edit: My RR3 has the same volume bleed issue you speak of. I think it's kinda cool.
              "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

My RR3 is definitely grounded so it sounds like they may be right. Could've had some parts replacement going on there. If you need a wiring diagram to get this worked out I'm sure that can be arranged.
                In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                  Yeah Idk honestly, the trem claw doesn't have any solder on it at all like it was never soldered. Very weird honestly. The it has 2 volumes and if I turn the bridge p'up volume down the neck bleeds through a little bit. Not 100% sure this isn't a mutt because it has reverse sharkies and the reg DDs in it. It plays okay but something isn't adding up. Could it just be a factory fuck up?
                  I bought a new Schaller trem some time ago and the claw has no solder marks on it.
                  There are tons of bodies on Ebay that are stripped of everything but the paint (mostly). If it's held on with screws, like the claw, someone's industrious and douche enough to remove it before selling the body.

Hence, if this body was stripped of all hardware, and the next owner put a new trem on it, chances are high the new claw didn't come with the ground wire soldered on it, and they probably didn't attempt it. Probably selling it because they can't figure out why it buzzes like a motherfucker
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

lol if I touch the control plate it shuts up! It's grounding out to that. It doesn't sounds all that bad honestly. The neck and body are native to each other but didn't the reverse sharkies also come with the DD detonators? I was snooping audiozone last night and was disappointed it didn't have those. Oh well I'll just throw some of the old Jackson pickups I have laying around.
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Ground them to the trem claw.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

is there a hole for the wire to go from the claw to the cavity?

Comment

I haven't looked that close. Was just wondering if Jackson grounded the pickups to the plate on the front loaded RRs. It is my first RR and my second V
                          It's pronounced soops

Comment

well the pots touch the plate so when the pots get grounded the plate is automatically put in the loop. you dont actually need a wire to the plate. all the RR's that didnt have actives were grounded all the way around.

Comment

Cool that's what I was wondering. I was thinking someone would pop up and say "yeah that's normal they used the plate for a ground". Doing a whole rewire so A ground will be going in. I actually have a Floyd from Caravin that has the ground wire already soldered on the claw so I'll just use that.
                              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Working...
                              X