Kahler string claw problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler string claw problems

Noticed the string claws on my Kahler have stretched apart a little over time, which may be why the ball ends aren't seating perfectly parallel, which might be why the tuning stability hasn't been great lately. Might be that I changed from 10s to the hybrid slinky set, though. I stupidly tried to pinch one of them back together a little bit with some needle-nose pliers but I ended up snapping the thing. Replacements look like $8/piece. My choices are replace just the one ($8), all of em ($50), new Kahler ($160)? I am flat broke, but I don't want to dump money into an old trem for no reason. Factor in the guitar needs a set-up, so if I get an all new trem down the line soon, add a 2nd set up on top of that which are pretty damn pricey here in NYC. Please take a look at the attached pic and let me know if you think they need all replacing, or what.
    Last edited by Final Sacrifice; 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM.

No pic. Your host doesn't appear to allow direct-linking.

And if anything was to be replaced, it would be the entire unit. But that's just me.

Spend the dough on a replacement set, do the setup yourself.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The tuning issue is likely nothing to do with the balls not seating parallel. With the tension on the strings I doubt the balls are moving about at all.

As usual with Kahlers the tuning stability is normally due to hysterisis in the system. If it isn't maintained then some sticktion can prevent the pivot from returning to the zero point after a bar use, then it feels out of tune until you do a big string bend and the system somehow finds zero again and sounds back in tune. Keeping the system in good nick and lubing all the bits that move (like rollers) will minmise this. The second factor is initial setup, the higher the rollers are set the worse this effect is. The best option is to shim the bridge up as much as possible and lower the string cradle rollers as much as possible (buy the short screws they sell!).

It does take a bit of care and maintainence but if done right the Kahler is a fantastic unit. Think a Supercar vs a bog stock production car. The Kahler will out perform the Floyd but if you neglect it it will run like shit!

Comment

bratfink got it right! As a huge fan of Kahlers, I couldn't agree with you more!

To the OP, you don't have to replace the entire tremolo. Kahlers are as modular as Floyds, only a whole lot more expensive!

Here is a link to the part you want at Wammi World, Wammi J will take care of you:

http://www.wammiworld.com/p9407.php

Comment

I installed a new claw recently. EZ to do.

Comment

Thanks everybody for the help. Bought a new string claw, it's waiting in the package for me to find some time to install.

Comment

I don't think Kahlers out perform Floyd Rose in any aspect. I think they're both great bridges. That being said any trem. system will have problems if it's not given the proper routine maintenance. I prefer Floyd's personally but that's only because it's what my picking hand is most comfortable using.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
              X