Kahler fulcrum trems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler fulcrum trems

I just bought a soloist w a kahler fulcrum trem. Should have it next week. How are they? Do they stay in tune are they pretty stable I'm assuming parts are impossible to find. The posts seem closer than an OFR so I'm guessing a drop in replacement isn't possible either.

you can't swap. the posts I see on ebay new. the trems you can find used here and there. I don't know how they were new but most have the screw ends of the the double blades chewed up(since most people put the trem post against the blades instead of the screwhead inbetween. I've never seen a solist with a fulcrum you'll have to post pics. you can swap for a kahler killer I think. just as hard to find but locking.

Comment

The Kahler fulcrum (2500) are decent trems and I can get parts for them.
      I restored a model 2 with one and it works just fine.
      Floyd post spacing is wider but modding to a floyd is not that hard.The key is to leave the Kahler stud anchors in the guitar and drill for the floyd anchors.
      The floyd base plate will cover the Kahler stud anchors so you won't see them.
      Did you buy the 86 3 tite soloist?
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

yes i did. i have another 86 that had a fulcrum but had an OFR swap before i got it. Its funny you say to leave them in, they pulled them from the dinky and the wood between the 2 posts cracked. it was long enough ago that it had the OFR wood screw type posts. as long as its fairly stable and stays in tune i will leave it, i don't use trems much.

Comment

I had an 80s Peavey Falcon that came with a Kahler fulcrum style. pretty sure it was the 2500. Anyway, I got it used from a guy on CL and someone had scavenged most of the fine tuner parts sometime in it's past. Sure, you could buy the fine tuners and the other parts and it would have cost more than the guitar did. I picked up one of those Made in China Lic. Floyd Lo Pros for $20 and it dropped right in with no alterations.
          Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
          2007 Jackson DK2M
          1983 Kramer Pacer Special
          2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
          2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

I have a friend that has lots of parts for these so I go see her when I need some.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Sadly, the 2520 is built to mount on a Vintage Strat tremolo post spacing, and right now, the only things that are drop in for a 2520 seem to be Wilkinson Vintage style non locking trems, and the Kahler 2700 Series "Killer" tremolo, at least that's what I've been told. All others require new posts to be mounted as the spacing is different on Floyd Rose and even other Kahlers, so changing to anything else involves drilling new post holes.

I picked up a Kahler 2700 Series "Killer" on eBay for $50 shipped last month. (I was lucky) The one that sold earlier that week went for $136.00 (which I thought was cheap), and the one prior to that went north of $200!

I like my Killer a lot.
              It was complete, very heavy, and a drop in fit to replace the Kahler 2520 Fulcrum that was on my '86 Model 2. The Killer is rock solid and stays in tune way better than the 2520 did. It's a very "Floyd" tremolo.

There are some 2500 series tremolos on eBay if you want one or two for parts. There's no 2710 Killers at present though. Hope that helps.

Comment

I have a small stash of Killers. Great trem compared to the 2500. I'd immediately swap if I got a 2500 loaded axe.

Comment

Whammiworld.
                  I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                  X