Lowering the action on an acoustic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering the action on an acoustic?

Can this be done? Do I just get a new bridge? It has a lower cutaway but the action is so high it is hard to fret the notes.
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

I've done this on my Takamine G330S.

Sand down the bottom of the bridge insert/saddle part.

You may or may not have to sand the nut down. I did the nut first, but then had to do the saddle. Now it plays as good as a JS30 Jackson (which is an improvement )
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Have you taken a look at the truss rod adjustment?
      Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
      2007 Jackson DK2M
      1983 Kramer Pacer Special
      2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
      2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

check truss rod 1st. check to see if the belly or the space under the the bridge and saddle has come unglued and lifted up.this is very common with older less expensive guitars. if it has it will look kind of like a bubble or blister as you look at it from the side. unless you're skilled you'll need a luthier to repair this. (The top seperates from the bracing inside the guitar). shave bottom of brige if allowed and bottom of saddle as well as desired.
        I have an old Yamaha FG-160 that this was done to. The work cost more than the guitar sold new for. I was told not to adjust the truss rod for at least a couple of months so the glue would set well. I stuck it in my closet and forgot about it for over a year. When I took it out and adjusted the neck it played like a dream. Before the work was done I couldn't play much above the 5th fret.Now it has the low action to rival my electrics on the whole length of the neck.
        This guitar must be about 40 years old now and has fantastic tone and volume.

Comment

Cool, thanks.
          8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

A friend of mine lowered the action on a cheap Ibanez acoustic and it worked ok. He got the action really low and it plays a little like an electric guitar but, It sounds different for some reason, not as full sounding. I'm not sure how to explain it but, it made a noticeable difference in sound. Good luck sir.
            I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
              A friend of mine lowered the action on a cheap Ibanez acoustic and it worked ok. He got the action really low and it plays a little like an electric guitar but, It sounds different for some reason, not as full sounding. I'm not sure how to explain it but, it made a noticeable difference in sound. Good luck sir.
              If the saddle is modified and doesn't make full contact with the slot, it can definitely affect the fullness and sustain of the guitars sound.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
              X