still having trouble finding a replacement saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still having trouble finding a replacement saddle

this is the 2nd saddle ive purchased to try and replace a broken one on this Schaller licensed Jackson stamped Floyd Rose on my 1989 Rhoads "Valley of lost Souls"

photo (34).jpg

This saddle was a direct replacement for an OFR. The previous one I purchased was a replacement for a Schaller Floyd. That one didn't fit either.

This entire guitar is useless without a tiny little saddle. Do i need to buy an entire JT590 or whatever its called just for one saddle?

If it's the B string saddle you need, you need a #1 saddle. They have them here http://www.musiciansarsenal.com/floy...-gold-1-1.aspx

Comment

What is wrong wit the one you bought?
      You need a low saddle BTW.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Both saddles were the A/b saddles. Both of them raise the string too high

Comment

Take all of the saddles off to see if they are in correct order. They should have lowest ones on the e strings. The order should be 012210. Is that a shim under the high e and b saddles? What happens if you remove it? Also the high e saddle looks fishy to me with angled backside.

Comment

I'd get a fresh set of saddles from StewMac and not fret any further. If the problem persists, I'd swap out the JT-590 for an OFR and be done with it. Also be sure to check the springs, as sometimes their rigidity tends to diminish over time / due to stress, therefore requiring them to be swapped out every once in a while.
            "Hey man, it's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool!"

My Jacksons/Charvels:
            '91 Jackson® (MIJ) Professional Limited Edition Phil Collen Sig Archtop in Black
            '91 Jackson® USA Kelly KE-1F (FLOYD!)
            '89 Jackson® USA Phil Collen Archtop in White (KAHLER!)
            '88 Jackson® USA Granite Strat

Comment

Check and see if the radius of the saddles is correct, in that pic looks like you have a high saddle on the big E string.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by beardy View Post
                swap out the JT-590 for an OFR and be done with it.
                Unfortunately OFR doesn't fit in the JT-590 route. String lock down bolts are too long and extend over the up pull cavity.

Comment

Originally posted by Kisonen View Post
                  Unfortunately OFR doesn't fit in the JT-590 route. String lock down bolts are too long and extend over the up pull cavity.
                  Correct. He'd need a Schaller or a Floyd Rose II.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have replaced a few of those Schallers with OFR:s.
                    It just takes a bit of work to shorten the locking screws.
                    Just think and meassure first so you retain the intonation range for each string.

Comment

What I'm seeing in the pic is the new saddle is the B (2nd), not the high E.

I'm also not seeing a string in it, which means it's not being pulled up like the others.

This also means the spring plate is not pushing it up from behind as it should.

Make sure that one tine is not bent down.

Or bite the bullet and buy an entirely new Schaller from StewMac. Yes it's an expensive fix, but in the end you'll be much happier knowing it's as rock-solid as the day it left the factory.
                      Plus you get all-new pivot posts with no wear, so you don't have to worry about the trem not returning to pitch due to a worn post (and you don't have a worn post eating a new knife edge).
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

edit- pm'd
                        Last edited by jdr94; 07-20-2013, 01:39 PM.

Comment

cleared my inbox

Comment

I don't know if this is too late but I ran into something similar recently.
                            I have an early 80s floyd on a Kramer. The high E saddle broke. I have a couple of Lic floyds laying around so I pulled a saddle from one of them. The new saddle is taller than the original so I measured the old one and filed the base until it matched. the slot for the string also needed a little filing but in the end, it is now the right height and works just fine.
                            Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
                            2007 Jackson DK2M
                            1983 Kramer Pacer Special
                            2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
                            2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Working...
                            X