killswitch issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• killswitch issues

I have a killswitch in my Warrior Pro which a) doesn't completely kill the output, b) makes a kind of <thump> when disengaging, c) buzzes when engaged whenever I use an amp. Are there KS's out there for say, active and passive pickups or different impedances, or is it just dodgy soldering/wiring?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Sounds like a cheap switch to me. Could be faulty wiring or soldering, but I would suspect the actual switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Codex View Post
      Sounds like a cheap switch to me. Could be faulty wiring or soldering, but I would suspect the actual switch.
      +1 when the switch is thrown there should be no sound at all. since you said it doesn't kill the signal than the switch is bad.

if the posts get too hot during soldering it can melt some of the insides. I'd say if you replace the switch it should be good to go.
      Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
      2007 Jackson DK2M
      1983 Kramer Pacer Special
      2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
      2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

I think the switch was not wired correctly. The correct way is to GROUND OUT the hot signal, like turning the volume all the way down.

It sounds like this switch was incorrectly wired to OPEN UP the hot signal, which breaks the connection, but leaves the hot lead into the amp open to noise and static. This is similar to if you unplug the lead from the guitar, and then add an antenna to the ground side to pick up noise (the guitar is the antenna in this case). Ever touch the open lead plugged into an amp and hear noise / thumps / hum?

Comment

Thanks, I'll get it rewired. I was under the impression the wah switch on my Warrior Pro had been converted into a KS. I didn't want one of those button style switches so I accepted what I ended up with at the time.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
          X