Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For you guys that tune to C# .....

For you guys that tune to C# .....

What gauge strings are you using, do you go with stock sets or mix gauges?
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

For drop C#, I just use standard 9-42 strings. I'd probably go to 10's if I were playing C# standard unless you're playing really really fast stuff. I don't mind a little floppiness.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

+1
      "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Cool, I was thinking about trying

Looking at string pull, but also looking for 'normal' feel....
        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

In C# standard 9s are going to be pretty floppy. I tend to use 12s but that's just me, i like my guitars to fight back a little. I recommend you go with 11s or 10s at least.
          It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I keep one guitar tuned down to C# standard for some Sabbath stuff, and I use 9s. I don't get too hamfisted with them, because they will get sloppy on you. Using Jazz IIIs helps you get a hard hit without hitting hard. And yeah, you can't get too speedy on them or they'll get away from you. About the fastest I'll go is the opening chords of Disposable Heroes (not in C#, I know, but...). No way you're doing MOP that low with 9s, though. Unless you want it to sound like ass.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              I keep one guitar tuned down to C# standard for some Sabbath stuff, and I use 9s. I don't get too hamfisted with them, because they will get sloppy on you. Using Jazz IIIs helps you get a hard hit without hitting hard. And yeah, you can't get too speedy on them or they'll get away from you. About the fastest I'll go is the opening chords of Disposable Heroes (not in C#, I know, but...). No way you're doing MOP that low with 9s, though. Unless you want it to sound like ass.
              Well for Sabbathy stuff i guess 9s will be just fine, but since most of the stuff i play is in the 260-360bpm tempo range, 9s just don't cut it. Plus, i play with .88mm picks, so i still get a bit of flex, but i've been thinking of trying Jazz IIIs. So to the OP, i guess it's a good idea to take that into account too, but in my opinion 9s won't stay in tune as well as 10s or 11s.

Originally posted by RD
              ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Elixir light-heavy: 010-052 are good ones. And most important, i suffer allergy for nickel and Elixir are coated so my fingers wont "burn" from nickel.
                Jackson Randy Rhoads Pro 2015
                Jackson "Phobia" King-V
                BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth
                SG Mutt "Swamp Thing"

BC Rich Warlock One Bass

Orange Micro Terror
                Laney TF300
                Randall 1X8

PERKELE!!!

Comment

I use Ernie Ball 11-54. 9s would be really floppy IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                    Cool, I was thinking about trying

Looking at string pull, but also looking for 'normal' feel....
                    Try the red set of David Gilmour GHS Boomers.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                      most of the stuff i play is in the 260-360bpm tempo range,

Let's hear that!
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post

Let's hear that!
                        Sure!

Originally posted by RD

Comment

When I was in the band doing C standard songs I was using DR Tite-fit Mega Heavy sets. I believe they were 13-56 and tension felt similar but a little more loose than 10 gauge sets at E standard.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I had one of mine tuned to C# standard and I used 11-70. Didn't like it too much though, felt too floppy still, and the 70 didn't fit the Floyd saddle too well.
                            "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

10-52 set here.
                              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X