Pickup mag question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup mag question

So I've got an extra JB laying around that I've been wanting to try a ceramic swap on.

As I sit here, about to order a mag, I wonder, will the mag out of my useless paperweight Duncan Designed Detonator neck pup work?
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

I said fuck it and swapped it in. Much more output, tighter lows, high end sounds the same. I'm in heaven.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Nice. I believe you just turned your JB into a Distortion with that magnet swap. The guys on the Duncan Forum do all sorts of crazy magnet and bobbin swapping.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The mag from the Detonator was twice as thick as the one out of the JB. Actually had a little bit of trouble getting it back together because of which. Couldn't tighten the baseplate all the way or else the bobbins would separate apart. Ideally I'd like to go back in and put some washers in to compensate for the difference, but who am I kidding, it'll stay that way.

Comment

You should be able to use the spacers from the Detonator to fix it right.

Technically the JB with a ceramic is a JB+, as the wind is a bit different than the Distortion.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I always wanted to do some swapping with some duncans I have laying around. Saw a video on how and it looks ridiculously easy. What do I need to know about magnets? Are they different sizes/shapes, etc.? Like will the ones from the Ibanez INF1 (ceramic) or INF2 (A5) I have here fit in a JB or Custom?
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I bought a JB w/ A2 in it and put it in a ProMod. Love it.

Comment

This is interesting. Is there a way to tell what magnet type is in a pickup? I have a bunch of unknown/generic pickups that are just junk, maybe I can use the magnets for swapping if I can ID them.
                My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                  This is interesting. Is there a way to tell what magnet type is in a pickup?
                  Not really. You can tell ceramic from alnico by looks, bot which alnico or which ceramic it is, you'd need to test.

Comment

Put an Alnico 8 magnet in a JB and it sounded OK but stay away form the amp when you play.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

LOL I put the alnico from the JB into the Detonator neck. Figure I'll just give it to my guitar tech, he might find a use for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X