Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Room enough in standard Charvel cavity for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Room enough in standard Charvel cavity for...

Does anyone know if there's enough room in the standard Charvel control cavity for three push/pull pots and one 5 way super switch?

To be clear, this is the cavity type I'm referring to:

It would be a tight fit.
    Knob placement will be very limited as well.
    It's one of the reasons why I actually prefer the Ontario route on anything with more than one pickup.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      It would be a tight fit. Knob placement will be very limited as well. It's one of the reasons why I actually prefer the Ontario route on anything with more than one pickup.
      Yeah, I thought that might be the case. At this point it looks like I'm going with a 5 way Super Switch, master volume (push/pull), master tone (push/pull) and one mini toggle so I'm leaning towards a KNE Soloist style body because it has the large Ontario route.

That said, I've been trying to determine what a "kidney" control cavity is. It's an option from Musikraft but I can't find any pictures of it. I believe it's bigger than the standard SD cavity but by how much I don't know.

Comment

I'm guessing it's Ontario-sized.

The SuperSwitch will take up considerable room, even if you cut the slot so that the lever is against the outer edge and the double-stacked wafers are facing into the cavity.

What you might also consider is the 6-way Gibson-style toggle StewMac has (pickup shifter?). One half can be wired for your standard B,B+N,N 2-hum wiring, and the other half can be wired for your splits. Not sure about combos, though.

You might also look into Duncan TripleShot rings. Switches for your most common options right on the ring, no permanent mods to the body, and no convoluted wiring.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for chiming in Newc.

I'm actually looking to wire up 3 singles coils with series and parallel wiring along with phase switches for the neck and bridge. I found a wiring diagram that will along me to do this with push/pull (or push/push) volume and tone, a 5 way Super Strat switch and one extra DPDT toggle. I'm going to have to go for an Ontario sized cavity to do this.

Comment

Well, good luck with that shit :P
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i know a lot of guys prefer the slide switch to mini toggles but you can do the same thing with 4 on/off/on mini toggles. series off parallel for each pickup then a phase switch for the middle pickup, which would be almost be the same as reversing phase on the neck/bridge, unless you were planning on putting the outter pups out of phase not out of phase w the center? with single coils series parallel does NOT give you that much of a difference in tone as compared to tapping the pickup. there is more of a difference in tone when using an S/P switch with humbuckers but tapping still has more of an effect. if your familiar with BCRichs with all of those switches, they are 2 S/P switches and a phase switch.

Comment

I've dug into this set up pretty extensively so I'm not flying blind here. I've dabbled in series/parallel wiring with single coils and I've owned a couple Brian May guitars before (love the sound, hated the feel of 'em). Here's how the set-up I'm looking into works:

In parallel mode, the 5 way is like this:
                1) Bridge
                2) Bridge and middle
                3) Bridge and neck
                4) Middle and neck
                5) Neck

Flip the switch to series and here's what happens:
                1) Bridge, middle and neck in parallel (yes, that's correct)
                2) Bridge and middle
                3) Bridge and neck
                4) Neck and middle
                5) Bridge, middle and neck in series.

Adding a phase switches for the bridge and neck will allow one pickup to be out of phase no matter what. With the right pickups in series, it will scream.

Comment

Working...
                X