Floyd Rose broken :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose broken :(

Hey guys Today my Schaller Floyd Rose on my Jackson Soloist Professional from 1990 broke! The arm socket (what you screw the arm to) broke so I can't use the tremolo anymore. I either need to get a new Floyd Rose ($$) or replace this socket except I am not sure if the OFR socket will fit into the JT-590? Advice?
    Thanks
    algeriet
    Last edited by algeriet; 05-11-2013, 12:29 PM.

stew mac sells the trem arms with that piece that broke.

Comment

Its not the trem arm that broke, its the actual skeleton of the Floyd Rose that's a goner.

Thanks anyway

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
        Its not the trem arm that broke, its the actual skeleton of the Floyd Rose that's a goner.

Thanks anyway
        You're referring to the baseplate then, correct?

Comment

Matt:

I've updated with a picture now and I believe that it is salvageable. I'm just not sure if OFR's arm socket will fit or not?

Comment

I guess this would fit:

http://schaller-electronic.com/hp156...arm-362003.htm
            My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

So its as simple as ordering that tremolo arm and installing the socket that comes with, huh?

Comment

Yep, sure is. There's a screw on the underside of that arm socket (usually a hex screw) that you remove and the socket will pop right off.
                Just put the other socket in it's place, tighten the screw down, and you're done.
                Most of the time you don't even have to take the Floyd off the guitar, as you can access the screw from the route in the back.
                Oh, and pretty much any Floyd type socket will fit. Not all will be the same quality, however.
                Would be best to buy a set with new arm and the socket to ensure that they fit together.

FYI: The exact same thing happened to me (same spot and everything) and it was because I had put a screwdriver in the socket to pry the Floyd up to put a block under it when restringing.
                If you need to lift the Floyd while the springs' tension is on, use the arm to do it, and make sure it's screwed down. That gives added strength to the socket to prevent these breaks.
                Last edited by DalyTek; 05-11-2013, 01:13 PM.
                My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Thanks, guys! Really appreciate it!
                  I'll write here again if I run into any issues.
                  Take care

algeriet

Comment

I gotta ask, how did that happen?

Comment

Update!
                      I've tried and remove the original arm socket but after I remove the first two pieces from behind (screw and the cylinder) I'm stuck.
                      Here are some pictures:

The screw and the cylinder.

And this is where I'm clueless as to what to do next. My allen key won't fit as the hole is round.

Force:
                      A couple of years ago when I used to have an Ibanez RG I would stick in my tremolo arm the other way around and would get instant slack and it was pretty awesome. I suddenly remembered that "move" and tried again failing to remember that the Ibanez Edge Pro III (I believe it was) didn't have a screw in, instead it had a pop in. So the chances of this happening on that one are not that big. Foolish me!

Comment

It's just wedged in the hole by friction. Just push it out from the back side or pull it out from the top.
                        It may take a little work to get it loose. It's been viced in place for 23 years!

What I did to mine was put the tip of a philips screwdriver into the hole in the back where you removed the screw from and tap the screwdriver with a hammer to pop the threaded socket out.
                        Last edited by DalyTek; 05-11-2013, 04:29 PM.
                        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Haha, true!
                          Well have you got any more detailed advice on how to get it out? Cause this little fella is persistent! I've tried sticking in my tremolo arm and pushing as hard as I can for a couple of minutes now with no results.

Comment

We must have been typing at the same time. Just edited my previous post to reflect advice how to get it unstuck.

Comment

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X