Big Brass Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Brass Block

For those of you who put a big brass block in your Jackson, what size did you use? Thanks.

Jeff

Have you measured the block for the guitar in question? If not just stick a ruler (that has millimeters on it) in the back of yor guitar so it hits the base plate and see where on the ruler the bottom of the block ends. If you need it, there's a video on YouTube that shows this being done.

Comment

I use a 5/8" thickness 34mm length KGC big brass block in my sl1.
      but i measured the cavity with a ruler before i bougth
      Don't drink & drive if you can smoke & fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
        Have you measured the block for the guitar in question? If not just stick a ruler (that has millimeters on it) in the back of yor guitar so it hits the base plate and see where on the ruler the bottom of the block ends. If you need it, there's a video on YouTube that shows this being done.
        Like Matt said....because it depends on body and most importantly whether the trem is recessed or not. FWIW I buy mine off the bay from a dude named "hoockey" (or something close ). Good quality, they fit, and they're only 20 something bux.

Mark
        "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Comment

Every one I've gotten was from hoockey. Great quality and price.
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

The correct size.

Comment

I used a 37mm brass block from Floyd Upgrades. Best upgrade i ever made.
                It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I am guessing the general rule here is:

32mm for OFR recessed trems, although sometimes a 37mm will leave the (Normal/not noiseless) springs just clearing the trem plate on a JT580/OFR.
                  37mm for OFR non recessed trems, although sometimes a 42mm will leave the (Normal/not noiseless) springs just clearing the trem plate
                  42mm for OFR replacement on a formerly JT6 non recessed trem setup as JT6's have really thick baseplates

Regarding widths, I'm not a fan of huge (5/8"/15.9mm) aftermarket blocks (KGC etc.) as they tend to knock your trem hole rout and limit your dives/pullups so I stick with OFR OME big blocks (1/2"/12.9mm) or similar spec as a maximum width, which even themselves can sometimes rarely cause problems. Also alot depends on your trem style. Myself, I like a floating trem with a wide range and if I hear any knocking components associated with the trem I want to destroy the guitar as it really, really aggravates me.

However the best general rule is to use a general rule and measure the thing, as it varies as to what you'll get away with. Myself, I would measure and buy a bunch, usually there are enough guitars in the house to find a suitable home for each and if new and in the packaging, they don't exactly lose resale value and postage is minimal and sometimes setups change, or you decide to fit noiseless springs or something.

I am not really aware of how a subtle change in spring angle (Eg. A change from a 37mm to a 42mm block) affects the feel of your trem, if it does at all. However, it should be noted that, if and when you play naked to your audience, by sticking an oversized block on it without a trem cover, you can increase the chances of catching your sack/cock/balls or pubic hair in the springs, which IMO, makes for a far more expressive playing style and will only serve to increase your stage presence, so it should be recommended. John Frusciante has been doing it for years and the word is that he swears by it.
                  Last edited by ginsambo; 05-13-2013, 04:05 AM.
                  You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                  X