Old Neck-Thru Bodies Life Expectancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Neck-Thru Bodies Life Expectancy

Hey all, I have been posting a lot of questions to this sub lately, so I thought I would explain why. I wrote in another post that I am "dropping out" of college for now, so that I can attend a luthier program this next year. It does not start until August, but I am trying to get started by learning all the setup jobs that I did not know how to, or do often enough on my own guitars. I have found I am running into a lot of questions as I am learning, and this place is the perfect place to post them! So thank you in advance for all previous, current, and future inquiries I might have!

Most of the intonation/setup things I have been doing so far, have been on bolt-on necks. I personally think bolt-on is actually my ideal neck choice, because of the flexibility to replace the necks EASILY on my own. But as I am about to start setup on my Model 6 from 19-effing-87, a question I have been wondering for a long time came up. This is not a double adjustable or whatever you call it truss rod. What happens when it goes all the way? Is it expensive to have the board removed to replace the rod? Can the wood still move correctly after the rod is at the end of its range? Also, if this were a brand new guitar, I would not be too worried, but it is 26 effing years old, and I am worried about how much life the truss rod has in it. Also, is there a way to tell how much more it can be adjusted without too much trouble?
    I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

I think a truss rod should last forever unless there is some serious abuse going on (or perhaps if the guitar was a lemon right from day one).

Comment

Really? I thought it could only be turned in one direction so many times? I guess I am not 100% sure how they work! The reason I asked, was because I have an Ltd M-252BB (The one with the really cool Bubinga finish that I actually remember showing the auction for on this forum, how ever many years ago!) that when I took it into be setup, they said the neck was too warped to be set up correctly, because the truss rod was already at it's maximum... turning point I guess he called it? Like I said, I'm a noob at this so I would love to learn something
      I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Actually it has a determined number of turns, there's a limit for adjusting, but it doesn't get worn. If the neck is warped, the problem is the neck itself (the wood), when the truss rod can't correct it anymore. So you need to repair the neck.

Comment

Read a lot of books on the subject before you start the class.You tube videos help too.
          You need a basic knowledge on the mechanics of a stringed instrument.
          The truss rod has a limited amount of threads or shall we say travel but you can adjust it as many times as you want.
          It adjusts the up bow or back bow of the neck.
          If the wood itself twists or warps not much the truss rod can do to fix that.In that case with a set neck guitar steam the old neck out and replace.
          There are lots of neck thru guitars that are old and they are fine players. I'm sure they will last for many years to come.
          Last edited by straycat; 05-08-2013, 11:12 AM.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Charvels of that era do have 2 way truss rods. I have many neck thrus from the late 70's and early 80's never had any problems be size of their age. If a neck is bowing or back bowing the trust rod can correct the problem if its twisted a truss rod does nothing. If not exposed to heavy fluxuations in temp and humidity a neckthru should be good forever.

Removing a fretboard and swapping a truss rod is costly the more options such as binding inlays and fretboard wood will effect price since the old board is firewood after its taken off.

Comment

Okay, that all makes sense. So I guess what I am asking, is given how they were constructed, back in 1987, given that there were no real extreme adjustments needed because of extreme temperatures or anything, there are enough "turns" on it to theoretically last me a lifetime? My flawed thinking was that they need to be tightened essentially, every month or so, and you will eventually tighten it to the end of it's "life" after enough set ups. If I understand it correctly now, if it is set up properly, so that the pull of the strings is even with the "relief" of the neck, I shouldn't really ever need to adjust the truss rod, except little increments as the seasons change?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
                ... if it is set up properly, so that the pull of the strings is even with the "relief" of the neck, I shouldn't really ever need to adjust the truss rod, except little increments as the seasons change?

correct

Comment

Wow, that luthier school can't start soon enough

Go get Dan Erlewine's books. They are likely the required course reading material.

Comment

You shouldn't have to tighten a truss rod every month. I have a couple guitars I've had for over a decade and never had to adjust them. Seasonal changes might warrant it but for the most part it should be set and forget sans minor tweaks. Ya know loosen a quarter turn or tighten a quarter turn. If a guitar has to be adjusted that frequently there's either something wrong or your a touring musician seeing different climates on a constant basis.
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

I adjust the truss rod on my USA Fender twice a year. It sits on a stand in my bedroom all year long, so it needs to be tightened and then loosened with seasonal changes... this has gone on for the past 12 years.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks everyone! And yeah I just went and got some books about this kind of stuff But yeah, I hadn't done ANY of this before, and I just was not sure how often it needed to be done!

Comment

I recommend you research what luthiers earn before making the career switch.

Comment

I am not planning on working as a Luthier per se. More as a repairman for a shop, a tech for a band, or for a company in the factory. If the dedicated, for example, fret man on the Jackson production line is considered a Luthier also, then my bad on misunderstanding the definition :P

Comment

Some of it also the tools. I no longer have access to a shop, so drilling for Floyd posts isn't something I can do. Sully has some good vids you may want to take a look at. And talk to some people before dropping a small fortune on tools. Some of the basics can be had much cheaper from a hardware store than a luthier supply.

Comment

Working...
                              X