Flush Mounted OFR without Angled Neck Pocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flush Mounted OFR without Angled Neck Pocket

I'm looking into ordering a Musikraft SD body that I want to flush mount the OFR on. I know I can get an angled neck pocket and just shims the saddles but since I'm buying a new body, I'd like to avoid doing that.

It's been a while since I've messed with something like this but I'm thinking I can just flush mount the OFR and shim up the neck as necessary to achieve the proper string height.

Does this make sense? Please advise.

If it's not done right it will damage the body. The saddle screws will dig into the body when you use the trem. I tried it on my Korina bodied Kramer. I'm really glad the trem hides that but it was trial and error. Are you trying to get the trem as close to the body as possible?
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Hmmm...that's a good point. I forgot how "bumpy" the underside the trem is.

Yeah, I'm trying to get it close to the body without dealing with a recessed trem route.

Comment

You could put painters tape on the underside when mocking it up to get the angle right. The blue stuff is pretty resilient. I use it when polishing headlights at work and it holds up to sanding discs pretty well and comes right off when I'm done.
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

I've tried to set up a few strats like that, but never cared for the results. The trem makes a "mushy" contact with the body and never seems to return to exactly the same tuning. I think for dive-only it is much better to add a block of wood in the trem cavity which is cut exactly to the profile of the sustain block.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            I've tried to set up a few strats like that, but never cared for the results. The trem makes a "mushy" contact with the body and never seems to return to exactly the same tuning. I think for dive-only it is much better to add a block of wood in the trem cavity which is cut exactly to the profile of the sustain block.
            Yeah, you make a good point. One can get the trem really low to the body, without touching it, then just block it off for drop only.

Comment

Yeah, and you also won't ding your paint up!

Comment

I did a paint job and set-up for a customer like this. He sent me a KNE body and everything was perfect! The direct mount pickup cavity, neck pocket and angle were spot on. Regardless, it will f#$k with your paint. That's probably why EVH used the quarter - to protect the prestine paint job on the "Frankenstrat.

Comment

Over time it will even crack the back ledge of the trem route. I have a couple of guitar set up like that. I have no problem with them returning to pitch. What I don't like is if I want to lower the action a bit, you have to take the neck off and adjust it with shims. I do prefer Floyd's full floating and non recessed but there are some advantages to having it blocked or dive only.

Comment

Working...
                  X