Dragonfire Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonfire Pickups?

So recently I have looking to replace the pickup in my first guitar, and I found on guitar parts online some pickups made by this company called dragonfire, specifically, their called phat screamer, and I wanted t know if anybody has tried them, if so, how good are they? I want to play thrash and death metal, on a basswood bodied and maple necked guitar, only one hum. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by guitarguy2237; 05-05-2013, 11:16 AM.
    I want a guitar made of ALL abalone. That would be badass. All shellfish should die for my shreddage delight.

Guitar Guy 22345762.9 is Jarek...like from Subway.

I have never tried their Phat Screamer specifically, but have tried their regular old standard Screamers. They are ok, nothing fantastic, but a decent upgrade for most stock pickups. I would guess the Phat Screamers would yield the same results, just a little "phatter"....
    Now the Dragonfire active pickups...those I like. To my ears, anyway, they sound better than EMGs and are a fraction of the cost.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
      I have never tried their Phat Screamer specifically, but have tried their regular old standard Screamers. They are ok, nothing fantastic, but a decent upgrade for most stock pickups. I would guess the Phat Screamers would yield the same results, just a little "phatter"....
      Now the Dragonfire active pickups...those I like. To my ears, anyway, they sound better than EMGs and are a fraction of the cost.
      I diddnt know they made active pickups, how hard would they be to install on a guitar set up for passive pickups? I havent played a guitar with actives before, come to think of it. Which one would you recomend, out of their humbucker models?
      Last edited by guitarguy2237; 05-06-2013, 02:00 AM.
      I want a guitar made of ALL abalone. That would be badass. All shellfish should die for my shreddage delight.

Comment

I have installed some of their pick ups and found the pole/screw slugs to have a tendency to fall/push down into the bobbins when you adjust them.
        Very inconsistent pick ups IMO as far as manufacture.
        Never found one I cared for to be honest.You get what you pay for is the way I look at it.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarguy2237 View Post
          I diddnt know they made active pickups, how hard would they be to install on a guitar set up for passive pickups? I havent played a guitar with actives before, come to think of it. Which one would you recomend, out of their humbucker models?
          It's a little tougher to install actives, as you have to replace the pots and the jack. You also need to find room to fit a 9V battery into the control cavity.
          If you are handy with a soldering iron and basic hand tools (wrench & screwdriver) it's not too hard though.
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
            It's a little tougher to install actives, as you have to replace the pots and the jack. You also need to find room to fit a 9V battery into the control cavity.
            If you are handy with a soldering iron and basic hand tools (wrench & screwdriver) it's not too hard though.
            What's different abput the pots? I knew about the jack needing to be stereo, but not the pots...

Comment

500k/250k ohm pots for passives, 25k ohm pots for actives!
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                500k/250k ohm pots for passives, 25k ohm pots for actives!
                Yes he is correct.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

good to know, I just ordered the 81C in black with all the other stuff I need. Wish me luck!

Comment

gotta changed the jack too, if your current one is not stereo.
                    good luck. for future reference, i found this company, guitarheads, on ebay good too (http://www.ebay.com/sch/guitarheads/...:MEFSRCHX:SRCH). especially for death metal/thrash there are sample videos on their listings.

Comment

Excellent. I think you will be pleased. I think the Dragonfire actives sound similar, but actually slightly better than the EMGs they are designed to be modeled after. They also take the 18V mod quite well.

Comment

I have had their rails, gold Screamers, and hcz81. All 3 sound great!

Comment

Working...
                        X