Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new Ibby Roadstar II plays/sounds great, until 20 minutes have passed....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Ibby Roadstar II plays/sounds great, until 20 minutes have passed....

I got a cool '83 Ibanez superstrat. It really sounds good, and plays really nicely...neck is sort of like the Charvel Model Series necks. However, after I have played it for about 20 minutes, suddenly, it's as if the neck changes/moves or something and I start getting all this fret buzz on the lower strings, and the clarity of the sound gets all muddied up. It is kept in my room at room temp.

I seem to remember over the years one or two other guitars that did this. I was never able to figure out why this happens. The only thing that I keep thinking is, could the trussrod be broken, and when the neck gets warm from me playing it, it starts to move? Has anyone heard of a guitar doing what I described above? It's so frustrating, because I love the guitar and the sound, but I can't play if for long because this happens every time I play it. Any ideas, my brethren? Thanks.

Dana <~~~
    '85 Rhoads Custom
    '86 SD Str*t
    '86 Model 4 (5)
    '87 Model 1
    '87 Model 6
    '88 Model 3DR
    '90 650 XL
    '94 KE-3
    '97 DR Amberburst
    '97 Dinky BOFlames
    '05 SD Copperhead

Where did the guitar come from? If it was shipped in from another region it may need time acclimate.
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
      Where did the guitar come from? If it was shipped in from another region it may need time acclimate.
      Came from a pawnshop right here in Austin, Texas. So nothing is any different in terms of temp., humidity, etc. I'm just at a loss.

Dana <~~~
      '85 Rhoads Custom
      '86 SD Str*t
      '86 Model 4 (5)
      '87 Model 1
      '87 Model 6
      '88 Model 3DR
      '90 650 XL
      '94 KE-3
      '97 DR Amberburst
      '97 Dinky BOFlames
      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Ah I see. Just adjust the truss rod and see what happens. Did you change strings on it? Everytime I've bought a guitar from a pawn shop the strings are crusty and old.
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

Yes, I did..

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
          Ah I see. Just adjust the truss rod and see what happens. Did you change strings on it? Everytime I've bought a guitar from a pawn shop the strings are crusty and old.
          Yes, I put new strings on it right away.

I'm really leery of messing with trussrods. I just never really figured out what/how to do it, and I'm afraid I'll damage something. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Dana <~~~
          '85 Rhoads Custom
          '86 SD Str*t
          '86 Model 4 (5)
          '87 Model 1
          '87 Model 6
          '88 Model 3DR
          '90 650 XL
          '94 KE-3
          '97 DR Amberburst
          '97 Dinky BOFlames
          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

You're not going to break the neck or the truss rod. If there's too much up bow (more of a gap in action between frets 4-12 or so), turn the truss rod 1/4 turn clockwise. If you've got buzz at frets 1-5 or so, loosen the truss rod with a 1/4 turn counter clockwise.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The first thing to do if figure out WHAT'S moving, before you try to fix it. Measure relief and string heights while the guitar is 'cold' and playing well, then repeat those measurements after it starts to crap out. Much better than adjusting something just to see if it will fix it randomly, IMHO.

Could well be that the guitar is fine, and as you warm up you play with a heavier touch; I've seen it happen to many players, and have had it happen myself.

Larry

Comment

I refuse to believe that there is anything "warming up" in the guitar itself. Its not as if its a tube amp that needs to warm up. My suspect would be the trem springs. have you inspected them? can you try and block the trem and then play and see if it makes any difference?
                Sam

Comment

If the truss rod is broken you will hear it rattle,put your ear up to the back of the neck it and slap it and see if you hear anything.
                  Put a wrench on the truss rod nut and see if it moves both ways.It may be loose and have no tension on it.
                  Adjusting the truss rod isn't hard and you won't break anything.Just don't force it if it won't move.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

What a shame. I wish I could help but I have no clue when it comes to that stuff. I bring my guitars to pros and luckily have had no problems.

I hope you get it sorted out. Those are really nice guitars.

Comment

To the OP, Guitarforceone, it would be difficult to damage the truss rod unless you go nuts twisting. There are a ton of videos on youtube explaining how to adjust the truss. If you watch those I think you'll start to understand how simple it can be. learning to do your own tech work is almost a rite of passage for guitar players.
                      From what you posted, it sounds like the truss rod needs some tension on it. as the moisture in some wood warms up they become more flexable. a rigid truss should keep it from moving.
                      Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
                      2007 Jackson DK2M
                      1983 Kramer Pacer Special
                      2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
                      2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Post a pic of the neck relief please.
                        From the bridge looking up the neck.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                        X