Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fretboard chip from prior refretting: Best Fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard chip from prior refretting: Best Fix?

So, I've got a Model 4 neck that I had refretted a couple of years back. I was looking last night and noticed a chip at Fret #1 that was probably from pulling the original frets. It's not huge, but I'd like to fix it. I've since learned to do my own fretwork (thanks to Sully and other YouTubers, and my desire not to go broke because I love Stainless 6100's and fret jobs get pricey), so I know how to fix this sort of thing when it happens with the frets out...but with them in, should I:

a.) Heat the fret up, ease it out, sand a piece of rosewood and pack/CA/accelerate then sand and reinstall the fret
    b.) Leave the fret in, sand a piece of rosewood and pack/CA/accelerate and scrape with a razor to level
    c.) Something else entirely.

The fret is seated, doesn't mess with the guitar tonally...I just hate the way it looks. Feedback would be awesome. Thanks!

Deff B.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Mix rosewood dust with glue, fill the chip with the rosewood goo, then sand flush.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
        Mix rosewood dust with glue, fill the chip with the rosewood goo, then sand flush.
        this

Comment

Don't sand the fill; it's overkill, tough to control in such a small area (you'll also probably hit the fret) and can do more harm than good. Simply scraping it flush with a razor is easy, clean, more precise, and less time consuming.

Sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

+1 on Sully's comment.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
            X