Problems with tuning / nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with tuning / nut

My SLXT has the stock tone pros bridge and string thru body. The guitar was going out of tune all the time so I swapped the stock tuners for a set of locking Sperzels. But it still not 100%, I still have to tune the guitar very often. The nut is well shaped and lubricated with graphite, but I think the headstock angle is too big and the strings can't slide nicely at the nut...

Any suggestions on this?

Which strings seem to be going out of tune?
    The unwound stings? If so put some angle in the nut slots.
    If the wounds strings just make sure the strings are not binding in the nut slots.
    Locking tuners just lock the strings at the peg head if they bind in the nut you will still have tuning issues.
    Have you changed string gauges?
    Post a close up pic so we can see whats going on.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Have you stretched your strings enough for them to not go out of tune?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mostly the unwound strings, the wound ones are slightly better. The string are 11-54 but I widened the slots. I don't have nut files, I use a blade and sandpaper. Of course it's not the best way but I always did it this way. The strings are stretched for sure.

If I push the string behind the nut it wont came back to the original tuning, so I think the problem is the nut.

Comment

Yeah, sounds like the nut is the problem.

Comment

Here are the pics:

Comment

Re cut the unwound nut slots to more of an angle.
              You need more room in the wound string slots I can see where the nut is pinching the strings.No need to go deeper just wider.
              Always flare the slot on the peghead side to let the string have some movement to vibrate and ring out.
              I would hazard a guess you have some sting muting issues going on too.JMO but I'll bet you do.
              A tip that might help save a piece of the cut off strings when you trimmed them off, wrap some 2000 grit sandpaper around the piece of string and polish the offending nut slot. That way its the proper size and it will polish the nut slot perfectly.
              Last edited by straycat; 04-19-2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Seems like a good idea to flare the slot as you said. I never did this, my other guitars don't have that big angle, and the jacksons I had were all floyd equipped. I'll try to do that.

There's no string muting. I hate when it happens... My washburn dime had this problem, it was a pain in the ass untill I swapped the locking nut.

thanks!

Comment

Yeah it looks like the nut. I can see the G string slot looks too low and the rest look tight and flat. I usually cut the angle of the string slot at the same pitch as the headstock. See if you can save some of the dust/filings from the other slots and fill the g string slot with it.
                  Gil

Comment

Yes, it looks lower than the rest but it is ok on the fretboard side, no buzz.

Comment

Barre/capo at the 3rd fret and see how much clearance you have between the strings and the 1st fret. I agree the G string slot is very low.

Comment

There's a good clearance. I think the slot is cut like this: \ So it's higher on the fretboard side. BTW the nut is properly cut now, the tuning problems are gone.

thanks
                        Last edited by MarceloBR; 05-06-2013, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X