Floyd Rose spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose spring question

My guitar was unable to stay in tune. So I figured the trem springs needed tightening. So I open up the cavity and find this....

So now what?

Do trem springs come in different lengths? That seems to be the only solution to this problem.

What?

Why?

Huh?
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

What is it you're trying to accomplish? If the back of the trem is raised up in the air and you can't turn the spring claw screws any more, add another spring.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Try taking the two outer springs off and relocating them to the other claw hooks.
        The strings must be stiff on that guitar.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          What is it you're trying to accomplish? If the back of the trem is raised up in the air and you can't turn the spring claw screws any more, add another spring.
          I was trying to keep it in tune.

Your advice worked. I added a spring and adjusted from there. I just don't prefer the tension that four springs give you but I didn't have any other options.

Comment

Another option, without adding a 4th spring, is to angle the two outer springs. Or buy a new set of springs, it could be that the ones on it are getting a bit tired. I usually use 3 springs & rarely have the claw screwed in that far
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Depends on the string gauge youre using. If it's a standard gauge you could just put new sprigs in. The old ones may be worn out.
              Gil

Comment

Yeah put the springs in a /|\ configuration. What string gauge are you using? If you're using really heavy springs it'll cause that....big time. Also what guitar is that?
                It's pronounced soops

Comment

It's a brand new Parker PDF70FR so I doubt worn out springs are the issue.

Where can I get stiffer or shorter springs?

Comment

They don't come shorter. I have 12 guitars 9 with trems from vintage trems to floyds and all the springs are the same length. If it's brand new it sounds like it's a problem guitar. Did you try making sure the screws holding the nut on are tight enough? They are several things it could be. It could also be a lemon. If you're having that much trouble keeping it in tune bring it to a parker repair facility and have them look at it. Show them whats going on and go from there. The trem posts could be pulling out on it too.
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

I'm having the same problem with my 1990 Soloist PRO. Gonna add a spring and see how it works.
                      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I'm still not sure why its doing this. Maybe the cavity is too short? Or perhaps the springs aren't stuff enough?
                        Last edited by Bryan; 04-16-2013, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Try changing your gauge of strings if everything else fails, what gauge are you using now? Like the other fellas said, try using the three springs in the /l\ pattern. Just make sure the trem is level with the body when you finally have her in tune. Do not want the trem to be out of balance, that will cause serious tuning issues.
                          I like black and white guitars

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                            Did you try making sure the screws holding the nut on are tight enough? They are several things it could be. It could also be a lemon. If you're having that much trouble keeping it in tune bring it to a parker repair facility and have them look at it. Show them whats going on and go from there. The trem posts could be pulling out on it too.
                            This. And if your trem posts are wobbling around a little and not actually pulling out, you may need to put some teflon plumber's tape around the threads.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Capture.jpg What's this?
                              Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X