Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got around to the RR5 mod I've been meaning to do forever! (Ferrules)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got around to the RR5 mod I've been meaning to do forever! (Ferrules)

Since forever ago, I've been wanting to do a few mods to my RR5. I finally got around to one, which is replace the V plate with ferrules so you can see the stenciling. I still want to get a pickguard to make it look like there is no picguard (cream with the stenciling to match) and put a zebra neck puckup in (if you have a JB or Jazz neck zebra, let me know). Other than the Zebra pickups, these ideas are all stolen from Angus Clark of TSO's RR5.

guitar2_lg.jpg

I just got the standard 5/16" ferrules from Stewmac. I think it was $8 total. They say 5/16", but I didn't have a 5/16" bit, so I went one size bigger to 21/64". Just throw the bit in a drill press and use the holes that are already there, be sure you go down far enough.

The whole process is totally reversible or easy to cover if you screw it up. This is after I drilled the holes, I just put the v plate on to see

Then you push the ferrules in, even using a slightly bigger drill bit, I had to hammer most of them down with a rubber mallet

And here it is strung up

Sorry I didn't GTWGITS, but I was more showing the new hardware, ya know

It would look so sexy, if you would stain that rosewood board.

Comment

Those ferrules are for the back side of the guitar. These are the ones for the front: link You might run into a string breakage issue since the string will go over a sharp edge, but like you've said; it's completely reversible if you decide to go another way.

Sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

homer-doh-square.jpg

Hope I don't have issues. So are the smaller ones the ones I wanted to use?

Comment

Yep, smaller ones for the front & larger for the back.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You can always use shrink tubing around the strings when you change them like SRV did to stop string breakage if it's an issue. It does look cleaner to me. I always liked all the gold goodness on a black Rhoads personally
            It's pronounced soops

Comment

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've always thought that string through RRs would look better if the V-plate followed the shape of the bottom of the body and was asymmetrical. Kind of OT...

Comment

Originally posted by groverj3 View Post
                Maybe I'm crazy, but I've always thought that string through RRs would look better if the V-plate followed the shape of the bottom of the body and was asymmetrical.
                + 1
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by groverj3 View Post
                  Maybe I'm crazy, but I've always thought that string through RRs would look better if the V-plate followed the shape of the bottom of the body and was asymmetrical. Kind of OT...
                  No question. For everything they got right with the Rhoads, the V plate has always been off and that is a part of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X