Change JT-6 to OFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change JT-6 to OFR

Anyone done that before? I am reading that it should be a clean swap. Is there any unexpected problems I should be aware of, like wood chiseling etc.?
    Jackson Black SL2HT, Jackson Trans Blue SL2H, Jackson Adrian Smith white with ebony board, ESP KH-2 Caution Hot, Gibson Les Paul Custom aged white, Fender American Strat.

Only problem I had on my Model 3 was that the OFR baseplate is a lot thinner and sits higher than the JT6, so the existing 37mm block on it was too shallow, which meant the springs rubbed on the back of the cavity, so the trem would stick. 42mm block and it was sorted no worries.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Should be pretty straight forward bro. May have to swap the block to the right size but should not be any issues to swap a Jt-6 to an OFR. That lighting would be the shit with an OFR on her, only thing holding her back.
      I like black and white guitars

Comment

Yes you will need a 42mm block for the OFR top mount. That way the springs don't hit the trem cavity or rub. Trade-off is more sustain! There is a guy on eBay who sells knock off FU blocks for less than half the price of the actual FU blocks and they work great. I installed them in 4 of my guitars with excellent results. My Model 2 just sings!
        "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
        ENGL Powerball II
        Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
        Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
        Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
        1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
        1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
        2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
        2011 Jackson DK2M Black
        1987 Charvel Model 2 White
        2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
        1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
        1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
        2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
        2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
        2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
        2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
        2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
        2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
        2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
        1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Occasionally the Floyd route will need to be opened up slightly, but most of the time it will drop right in.

Comment

I put a TRS-101 on my Model 2 with a sustain block from the guy BigE13 is talking about. It had to be a 42mm and I needed to make a small amount of room for the trem bar mount in the trem route so the trem could be used. BigE13 is right, for a little bit of money, you get a great replacement block. Now, if you're not doing this to model series body, you may have some work to do. I'm assuming with you removing a JT-6 that you have a model series git. Good luck and be sure to post up pics.
            I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

The JT-6 s not the real issue...although a Floyd is an improvement.
              The behind the nut lock is what really sucks...
              Drive Fast Cars & Play Cool Guitars!!!

Comment

Damn right. But what do you do? I turned the string plates upsidedown so the grooves weren't causing it it go tuneless. Can you buy these parts or whole units new with better metal? I guess any rubbing might well also depend on whether you have the colar or the crew in type arm collet.
                You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

I put a Schaller on my model 6 and it fit right in without an issue. The baseplate is thicker too so it didn't look weird.
                  It's pronounced soops

Comment

http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/Tr...ml?sort=3&o=31

Before and after. Easier than changing strings, thanks dudes!!

http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/Tr...tml?sort=3&o=0
                    Jackson Black SL2HT, Jackson Trans Blue SL2H, Jackson Adrian Smith white with ebony board, ESP KH-2 Caution Hot, Gibson Les Paul Custom aged white, Fender American Strat.

Comment

37mm block worked without fail huh? I knew it would, looks great her and now she is complete? Thanks for the trade, enjoy all you got bro!

Comment

I wish I had a bass amp right now.
                        Thanks man!

Comment

The JT-6 is regular spaced and the OFR is Fender spaced (wider string saddle spacing).
                          You will notice the two E strings will be closer to the edge of the fingerboard which may cause string pull off issues.
                          I like the JT- 6 trems so I never see the need for the mod.
                          The after the nut string locks work fine too.Why people bitch about them is beyond me.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I will see about getting you a bass amp. I will check around.

Comment

Just did this exact swap with my Model 2 last weekend. Just like others mentioned, you will need the 42mm block -got mine from the same guy on eBay and it works perfect. I'm assuming you know to use the JT6 studs? You'll have to pull the stud bosses if you're dead set on the OFR studs.

Edit: just noticed you already did it. Looks great!
                              Last edited by AIC70; 04-08-2013, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X