Maple or Ebony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple or Ebony?

My favorite mutt sounds a but too dark for me. Was thinking about getting a maple or an ebony neck. Which would brighten the guitar up more? The body is black korina and has a full shred in it right now.
    It's pronounced soops

What wood is the body made of?
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
      The body is black korina
      Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
      What wood is the body made of?
      sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

If you change the neck, it won't be your favorite mutt any more.

Pickups will change the tone a lot more than changing fretboard wood.

Comment

It might be pretty hard, and expensive, to find an ebony NECK. As far as fretboard wood, ebony and maple are similar, both brighter than rosewood, but like Don said, you'll notice more of a difference with changing your pickups.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

start with that pickup.

Comment

What value pot is in it? If its a 250k try a 500k.
              Duncan JB would brighten it up some too.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The pot is a 500k cts. It actually measured out to 518k. I've had a JB, Screamin' Demon and a old JB. The JB was nice but wanted some more lows. I don't really play it much cuz the neck is f'in huge. Has an R5 nut on it. Makes a Phil Collen model seem small. Old Kramer American neck for ya. The body is tung oiled also. It sounds kinda dark acoustically too honestly. It's the last guitar in my thread.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/920...Far?highlight=
                It's pronounced soops

Comment

Perfect guitar for an EMG I'm not a huge fan but some guitars do sound great with them.

Comment

Yep. Try an EMG-81.

Comment

Here she is. I honestly think it needs a strat head on her. I might go blackouts but no EMG's. Not a fan at all. It does sound very warm when unplugged too. That's why I'm thinking neck swap. I suck at woodworking or I'd get a promod neck to put on it and call it done.

It's pronounced soops

Comment

here's a solution if you want to keep it a "kramer" mutt. a maple pointy on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111043420927...84.m1438.l2649

Comment

I like the neck! Those are some great necks Kramer put out. The body looks nice too and I would imagine the "dark" tone is due to the wood type.

This is a difficult thread because everyone has different ideas. That guitar being a one trick pony, I would actually love to have it sounding a little darker than the normally ear bleeding barettas with JB's. Your full shred is a great pup, but if this were my guitar, I'd throw in a Gibson 500t in there. This will give you a "medium" between the now "dark" and the ear bleeding highs.

The guitar looks killer dude. I wouldn't change the neck if it were mine.

Comment

I'd rather a Strat head or a Jackson headstock to tbo. Not fond of the headstock at all.
                            It's pronounced soops

Comment

That's cool. My first choice for a replacement would be a strathead. Either way though, that body is so effin cool, anything will look good on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X