Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stripped Screw Hole in a Control Cavity: How to Fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped Screw Hole in a Control Cavity: How to Fix?

Well, that might be an understatement, so let me give the full story:

Got a Kramer Disciple bass for cheap. Practically brand new. Went to open it up and wire it for 18v, and...one of the screws was free spinning on the cover. Took a thin screwdriver and wedged it underneath, but it wouldn't just pop out. Well, eventually I got it off and it looks like it was a threaded bushing that was installed improperly. Not a huge deal, 1 screw of 4 doesn't make much difference, but if I wanted to fix this would I just sand/dremel away the cracked areas, get some hard maple and titebond it in, then shape it with a dremel and retap the screw hole? It seems fairly simple. If I even decide it's worth doing, it'd be an extremely low priority project:

Thanks!

Quick and dirty would be fill with titebond and toothpicks. Once it's dry, shave off the excess with a sharp edge, drill a pilot hole and just run that screw directly into it without the stud.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

That would work. Or you could probably find the right insert to install as well to match the rest. I know ibanez has inserts like that as well on some guitars (my SR500 bass has them)..
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Rereading your post.. Do you have the insert that was there?
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
          Rereading your post.. Do you have the insert that was there?
          I do, but the area is all sorts of cracked up and it wouldn't support the screw or the insert. It wasn't glued in properly before, I'm guessing, and when I popped it out (it's not a threading type of insert, it's one that just glues in) it cracked the wood it was sitting in. So, my thought is if I was going to invest the time to fix it (which would probably be down the line, since the cover stays on fine with three screws), I'd shave off the cracked wood and transplant the hard maple, shape it to match and re-tap the hole. Maybe use a threaded brass insert. Just wanted to ask if that seemed like the best way to approach it, if I was doing a full-on fix and not just a patchwork job.

Comment

There are several options just depending on how handy you are with wood working.
            the complete way to fix it would be to trim off the "bump" and glue a piece of maple on it replacing the side of the hole that is cracked. Then drill the flat part out restoring the shape of the hole. then glue the insert in, shape your added piece of wood and paint.

If you want it to just be functional you should be able to epoxy the insert in and it hold.
            Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
            2007 Jackson DK2M
            1983 Kramer Pacer Special
            2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
            2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Working...
            X